Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Dulux Renovation range

Caron
Making a Splash

Dulux Renovation range

Hello - I noticed in Bunnings today that Dulux has a renovation range for laminate, tiles and benches.

Has anyone used this product? I'm looking for a short term fix (approx 2 years) until I get the other projects done on my home. What is the durability of the product? I'm specifically looking at the splash back and laminate doors.

I've look at all the videos - appreciate any tips, hints, advice - especially around durability.

TIA - Cheers, Caron

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Dulux Renovation range

I have looked into it as a customer has vinyl wrap doors with one damaged.

It was a minimum 3 coat process to fix his problem, with a smallish area of damage I am better off using coloured melamine repair.

My own kitchen I am torn between just making new doors and ends just leaving the beige kick plates which could be painted and ripping the lot out and starting again.

Splash back should be fine for that timeframe if done properly.

Doors should be fine but if you have a pet you may have to patch scratches.

Benchtop I would avoid doing, need to be careful not to damage it.

Floors I have heard are prone to peel even with light traffic.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Caron,

I note that the @MakeItYours team used the Dulux Renovation range in their recent kitchen makeover.  Let me add a couple of videos below that might be of interest.

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Caron
Making a Splash

Thanks for the feedback Brad. Similar to yourself have wondered if it is more trouble to paint or just build new doors right from scratch. 

I actually got to see the result of the paint at a Bunnings store I visited this weekend (in NSW - no samples at any of my local QLD stores) and now revisiting my thoughts as to whether to go ahead. You have given me some food for thought. Thank - really appreciate it. 

Caron
Making a Splash

Thank you Jason, had a look at the videos prior to posting. Was seeking feedback from know anyone who had used the paint, had any tips and could advise on durability. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

No problems @Caron. Hopefully some other members will have some feedback for you.

Jason

MGusto
Having an Impact

I am currently using the renovator range to paint timber stained and varnished kitchen cupboards. The results are good but the underlying colour bleeds so badly that I needed two coats of primer/undercoat to stop the bleeding. As the renovator range is touted as requiring no priming "generally" it was a waste of money buying it. I should have bought the standard water based dulux enamel which does require priming but is about $20 cheaper for a 2 litre tin. I will post some shots later. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Many thanks for sharing your experience with the Workshop community @MGusto. Looking forward to seeing those photos of your kitchen cupboards. Let me know if you need a hand with uploading them. 

Feel free to post anytime you need a hand with a project around the house and garden, or have something to share. We trust you'll find loads of helpful information, advice and inspiration on the site from our amazing members.  

Welcome,

Jason

Thank you so much @MGusto - I have laminate cupboards so do you think it would be suitable to them (they are in cream). Also interested in the top coat you use - gloss or satin ... thank you for taking the time to comment - look forward to seeing your pics.  I bought the paint so now debating as to whether to take back and just get an enamel instead?

MGusto
Having an Impact

Hi Caron, I am no expert on these matters - we learn from experience so my opinion is exactly what it is - an opinion! you will see from the photos that their is a radical difference in colour change and a pro painter probably would have said it was always going to bleed. In your case you are painting on top of cream which should not bleed too much even with a white top coat. I would stick with the renovator range going onto laminate because it is designed for that. If you opt for the standard enamel you will need to prime and the primer will need to be designed to adhere to laminate. If it doesnt the whole thing will peel and chip off. I used gloss which doesnt come up real glossy even though i used the 4mm nap roller as advised.

Also if you prime there is at least 3 coats going on which is tiresome.IMG_20200331_083130.jpgIMG_20200331_083107.jpgIMG_20200325_110424.jpgIMG_20200314_125134.jpgIMG_20200226_133010.jpg

I will post a couple more when the doors are installed. The oven has been replaced I will post a shot of that.

IMG_20200331_135315.jpgIMG_20200331_135705.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects