Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Hiding a range hood duct

Cube
Finding My Feet

Hiding a range hood duct

I'm looking for ideas to hide this range hood duct. I was thinking of building a three sided particle board cover to match the cupboards but was concerned about the extra weight that would add.

Thank you

IMG_20210109_190738.jpg

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Hiding a range hood duct

Hello @Cube 

I suggest using 6mm mdf instead of particle board. Its lighter and you can use 40 x 16 pine strips to frame and anchor to plaster wall so that there will be no weight on the cabinetry. 

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Hide range hood duct

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Cube. It's fabulous to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

It's great to see you've already received a helpful reply from @redracer01

What's the height between the top of the shelf and the ceiling? I note we have a Bellini 800mm Stainless Steel Flue Extension Kit which is 800mm tall. If this was close to what you have, it could be a neat and convenient way of boxing the ducting in. It would also look much nicer than the expandable ducting and could be painted white.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Hide range hood duct

It would be nearly 20 years ago when I saw an episode of Our House with the late Shirley Strachan as the carpenter for the show where he created a wardrobe at the end of a corridor. The ceiling was the focal point where he built downwards with battens glued to the ceiling and then the sides screwed into them. I replicated that idea when we had evaporative air-conditioning installed where the ducting was exposed from the ceiling and turned 90 degrees into the wall.

I believe your three-sided particle board or Red's MDF board would work based on the this principle. Mitchell's range hood duct would also apply to this method.

Memories...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graeme_Strachan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Our_House_(Australian_TV_series)

Cube
Finding My Feet

Thanks everyone for all the advice and the warning about the weight on the cabinetry.

I went with some aluminum sheet hand folded into a three sided square with flaps on the back which tucked behind the pipe.

IMG_20210126_142826.jpg

JDE
Becoming a Leader

You could just do a soffit (wall from top of cuppboard to ceiling) across the whole section from side wall to side wall. We recently did this for my daughter. I used some light batten for frame and a sheet of I think it was 3mm mdf with white on one side. I got the Bunnings guys to cut it down to size. I used quad to dress up edges. Or you could use gyprock.

JDE

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Love your work, @Cube! You've done an excellent job at hand-folding that sheet. It wouldn't be hard to mistake it for a pre-made duct kit.

Well done, and many thanks for sharing your results.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects