Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I cover up a different size oven cavity?

tefilah90
Just Starting Out

How do I cover up a different size oven cavity?

I am trying to find a second-hand oven to install (family member is an electrician) but it appears as though the current oven is an unusual size. The current cavity is 62.5w x 96.5h. It appears as though most double ovens are now 59.6 x 88.8 or 59.6 x 108.3. The smaller of the two would leave quite a gap and it is mounted in the wall (gyprock) not in a laminex cavity. How would I make this look a little more finished?

IMG-8054.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How do I cover up a different size oven cavity?

Hi Tefilah

I doodled out a plan to fit the 59.6 x 88.8 oven.

Then I wondered, are they the external dimensions of the oven - or the cavity dimensions?

Do all the ovens have this coverage perimeter strip - what width are they?

Dimension?Dimension?

My plan is glue, screw, 70 X 45 battens, gyprock, 30 X12 oak trim, plaster, sanding and paint.

:smile:

DoodleDoodle

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I cover up a different size oven cavity?

Hello @tefilah90

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you so much for joining us and sharing your question about covering up the gap in your oven cavity.

It's fantastic that you've received excellent advice from @Noyade. I agree with the recommendations made and the methods suggested are an excellent way of covering the gap. Have you chosen your second-hand oven? If it is a modern oven and you have the external edge dimensions of the oven front, you can have it finish flush with the cavity wall.

Have you considered getting a new oven instead of purchasing a second-hand one with food warmer? The cavity can then be modified and the gap above can be used as a shelf. However, if the oven front is too big and finishes on top of the gyprock any gaps can be filled with a piece of plasterboard, filled and painted over. Please let us know once you have the oven dimensions. We'll then be able to offer you more recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects