Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I make a free-standing breakfast bar?

NanaRaiha
Getting Established

How do I make a free-standing breakfast bar?

Please help..I would like to attempt constructing a freestanding breakfast bar for 2 people.  Where do I start?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how do I make a freestanding breakfast bar

Hello @NanaRaiha 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about building a breakfast bar.

There are quite a few ways to build a breakfast bar, but before we begin can you please tell us how wide do you want the breakfast bar to be, and do you want cabinets underneath? 

Below are discussions about kitchen renovations that have kitchen islands included in them. Although kitchen islands are quite big they still fall under the same building principles of a breakfast bar. They have an area where you can have a meal and it is independent of the kitchen. 

Please have a look and perhaps you'll find a design that you like. If you do find one, please let us know and we can talk about its design features we can include in your island.

Kitchen islands:

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
NanaRaiha
Getting Established

Tx for asking.

width 36cm

length 100cm

wood grain

front of breakfast bar wide enough underneath that 2 stool can be pushed in after use

otherside can remain open as I’d like to keep a dry rubbish bin plus a small compost bin

Hi @NanaRaiha,

You'd be looking at custom-making the frame for your breakfast bar with those dimensions. Being 360mm deep and 1000mm wide, plus its height, it's going to be a little unstable and would likely need to be fixed to the floor if you have children around; it could easily be pushed over.

You could use a SpecRite 1800 x 405mm 26mm Timber Panel Pine Glulam FJ ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠for the benchtop. You'll need to cut it down to the correct size. Next, you'll need to create some legs and some bracing for them. Something like Porta 70 x 45mm 1.2m DAR Pine Standard & Better could be used for the legs and Porta 70 x 30mm 2.4m DAR Pine Standard & Better. I've thrown a quick rendering together for you to illustrate. Obviously, there are plenty of other ways you could construct a breakfast bar, and those really come down to the aesthetics you are going for.

I've also added a rendering of a Kaboodle island. It would be far deeper than your 360mm at around 1100-1200mm.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Tx u both for replying.

yes the custom measurements r to fit my tiny kitchen diner for 2 moko.

tx for the need to anchor

Kaboodle might be quicker if I can get the measurements reasonably close.

NanaRaiha

You'll get close to the width @NanaRaiha. I've used a 600 and 400mm cabinet for that design. It's just the waterfall sides that put the width about 60mm over 1000mm. You could use two 450mm cabinets, and that would allow you to add end panels and still be under the 1000mm mark. The depth of the cabinetry is, unfortunately, set.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects