Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add panelling to island bench?

poppylee198
Cultivating a Following

How to add panelling to island bench?

Hello,

we would like to add a panelling look to the back of our kitchen bench, before we paint it a different colour.

Just wondering our options to do this, can we add the groves to the cupboards or is there an option to buy new cabinet doors with the panels there that will fit? 

approx sizes in the photo, they open in the middle.

A4F79EE2-FA7F-4BB0-8F8D-864FF072ED46.jpeg

 inspo look:  

C7DB9B1C-E295-4AD5-9DE8-5A640D6D0A9F.jpeg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to add panelling to island bench?

Hi @poppylee198,

Sounds like a great project. Have you seen this popular kitchen island VJ panelling by @ProjectPete? It's part of our collection of VJ panelling projects for any room in the house, which should provide further ideas.

I'll also tag our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL to assist you.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
poppylee198
Cultivating a Following

Thanks so much Jason!

The current bench is functioning cupboards so I was just wondering if this is the best way, given the fact they are cupboards? Is there a way to line the panels up and make sure the cupboards can still open and close? 

I saw people online also use a circular saw to add some grooves in too? But not sure I trust myself to do this! I wondered what would be best!

thanks! 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @poppylee198

Thank you for sharing your question about adding an Easy VJ panel look to your kitchen doors. In order to use your existing doors, several conditions must be met before you cut into them. You'll need to find out if the door is vacuum laminated sealed or is just glued on. Unfortunately, without cutting into the panel itself, there is no way to tell.  

Using a circular saw is ok, but I would probably invest in a finishing blade to prevent damaging the door's surface. Your other option is to use a router with a straight router bit. The router will cut an excellent clean channel and prevent the surface of the door from tearing out.

What about placing the panel in front of your existing door? This does two things to the existing door, it adds weight and makes the door thicker. Your current door will possibly be around 16 to 18mm thick. If we count the adhesive along with the panel that will be an extra 10mm for a total door thickness of 26 to 28mm. The added weight will shorten the life of the hinges and the door will not open properly as it is now too thick and will hit the door beside it.

The only other option that comes to mind is to make your own panel doors. You'll need to add a backing timber piece as the decorative panels are only 9mm thick. I suggest using Plywood Pine Premium BC Grade to give you a total of 18mm. All you need to do is to duplicate the door size and glue it together. Please keep in mind to use a Hafele hinge mounting kit to prevent over-drilling the mounting holes for the hinges. Due to the size of your doors, you won't be able to match the panel lines to the opening gaps of the doors.

Let me call on our experienced members @redbournreno and @craftyhopper for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

poppylee198
Cultivating a Following

Thanks Eric! Would using the router be something we could even get them to do at a Bunnings store for us? Thanks!!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @poppylee198

I'm so sorry, but the store doesn't use routers and can only do straight cuts in large timber panels. They won't be able to do the channels you're after for your door. From a production standpoint, if you are doing it yourselves, you'll need to invest in a tool. You can either get a circular saw and the finishing blade or a router with a straight bit to cut the channel. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects