Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to change under-sink plumbing to add a bin?

Hoganch
Finding My Feet

How to change under-sink plumbing to add a bin?

I’m wanting to install a under sink bin, we have a small townhouse kitchen with very limited space.

the only cupboard I could install a pull bin is under the sink but the pipes take up too much room for even the smallest pull bin available 

mis it normal for the pipes to standard double sink and dishwasher to take up this much space? 
is there anyway we can reconfigure them to take up less space?

IMG_0094.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: kitchen sink plumbing help

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Hoganch. It's wonderful that you've joined us, and many thanks for your question about under sink plumbing.

Your plumbing looks fairly standard for under a dual bowl sink. Unfortunately, because of the necessary routing of plumbing, this space can be hard to utilise fully. The drop-down plug waste outlet really governs you. If the bins are too deep and they're making contact with that, there's really not much you could do. There are flexible waste pipes that could re-route the plumbing if that gave you extra room. If you could fit the bin in between the two plug waste outlets, then the pipework could be re-routed to the back wall and across it instead of straight across. Kind of fiddly, though.

Have you considered a swing-out bin like the Kaboodle 15L Swing Out Chrome Waste Bin? They hold just as much as the slimline pull-outs, and as they don't have a frame to fit under the sink, they might work. There is even a smaller Practa 8L White Swing Bin.

Let me mention @TedBear to see if he had any suggestions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @Hoganch, I have a similar setup at home, but installed by a more considerate plumber.( They can be very self focussed on their own ease when installing such things.) I suggest that you swap the top level pipes over, so that the waste goes straight down the left side, not the right. Then replace the existing u bend and straight pipe (on the lower level) with a double u bend to connect directly to the grey coloured waste pipe. You may have to offset things a little to get it to align, but it can be done... that's how mine was arranged for the same reason. I  think @MitchellMc s suggestion of flexible waste pipes may be useful for aligning things.  That way you will have the space on the lower rhs to install a bin.

Addition: I should clarify that the 2nd U bend is inverted and connects to first one on the vertical, so that the two can swivel to line up with the exit pipe. (You may need to extend it upward a little by using a straight connector.) If you cant get a u bend that is long enough to reach, then you could just use a short straight pipe on the existing U bend and right angle turn down to the outlet pipe. (A bit like it is now, only a shorter run and all on the lhs, to keep the rhs free for the bin.)

Thanks Mitchell & Tedbear for the helpful & comprehensive responses

I’ve pulled the pipes apart to find that the pipe attached to the grey waste outlet is glued into place - I’d need to cut it to shorten or rearrange 

i think given my inexperience the swing-out bin will be the best option for me! I hadn’t heard of these before so thanks for sharing 

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

You can easily cut through the pipe just below the connector using a hacksaw if you still want to recover useful space under the sink.

Push the existing rt angle connector onto it along with the existing u bend (inverted). Then connect a new u bend between it and the sink outlet, once you have turned them around. 

Edit: You probably don't need the second U bend, just use the existing setup, moved to the left side and connect to the outlet, after sawing off the existing glued-on coupler, with a flexible waste pipe such as

https://www.bunnings.com.au/abey-40mm-pvc-connector-waste-pipe-joiner_p4760802

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects