Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fireproof plasterboard in oven cabinet?

lindyw
Getting Established

How to fireproof plasterboard in oven cabinet?

I'm about to put a built in oven onto a Kaboodle oven unit. There will be minimal gap at the back of 27mm between the oven back and the plasterboard wall. The recommended ventilation air gap at the rear is 20mm but I'm still wondering if I should somehow fireproof the back plasterboard wall? If I should would a heat resistant paint be sufficient . They all seem to be for metal stoves and fireplaces - would this work on plasterboard? I don't want to add an extra lining as the oven unit just fits flush with the edge of the timber benchtop now and I don't want to push it out past there.

Thanks for your input. Appreciate this forum.

Lindy

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to fireproof plasterboard in oven cabinet?

Hi  @lindyw

Given your space  constraints and your oven  manual for clearances.  I would use a sarking like insulation foil but buying  as it is bush fire resistant but 20 meter roll a bit silly for your oven size.

Consider pre lining your oven cavity with below. As it has  fire resistant properties claimed.  

Even  the  humble Aluminium foil will reflect alot of radiant heat away from a surface better than  paint.

Kingspan Insulation 48mm x 50m Tape

I/N: 0813463

$33.52

• Reinforced for extra strength
  • Effective vapour sealing
  • Super strong pressure sensitive adhesion
  • Fire retardant insulation tape
Kingspan Insulation Tape is a fire retardant reinforced aluminium foil tape that provides a vapour seal join in aluminium faced insulation products

Designed for use in the insulation and air conditioning industries, Kingspan Insulation Tape is pressure-sensitive for exceptional adhesion and has early fire hazard properties.

Thanks @Jewelleryrescue for your suggestions.

I had thought about some reflective foil based options  and one of them was the vapour seal tape.  :smile:

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @lindyw I think if your oven gets hot at the back such that it will heat the wall, then I'd be getting a safer oven.

You should find that there is very little heat from the oven at the back... All the heat venting is usually at the front and the oven walls will be well insulated against heat loss. The minimum recommended space is there to prevent any build-up of warm air or moisture and to allow a comfortable fit for the oven, taking into account any gas pipes or electric cord at the back.

I replaced our 10yo oven (bad hinges) a few years ago, into our existing particleboard cabinet and there was no sign of heat marks or damage anywhere inside the cavity. So, of you want to fireproof it, I wouldn't go overboard on it. If the oven actually caught fire then anything you add won't help much in that situation. 

lindyw
Getting Established

Thanks @TedBear . My electrician agrees with you. I think I was just way overthinking it!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @lindyw 

Thanks for sharing your question about your oven. It's great that you've received excellent advice from our members. Can you please tell me the brand and model number of your oven? I'm just curious that it is not fitting snugly into the Kaboodle oven cabinet. 

You mentioned that it is sitting in parallel with the edge of your benchtop? That would mean that your oven is oversized by at least 20mm. There are ways and means to adjust your kitchen assembly so that this does not happen. 

Once you give us the details of your oven, I'll make suggestions on how to adjust your kitchen layout. If you can post a picture of your kitchen renovation that would even be better.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
lindyw
Getting Established

Hi Eric,

Thanks for your response.

The oven does fit snugly into the Kaboodle unit. This is a small kitchen in a granny flat and the benchtop is not that deep so the current units are slightly less deep than the Kaboodle. We're not worried about the asthetics as the oven unit is at the end of the run of cupboards and whislt it comes out further than the other units the oven sits under the benchtop and snugly against the oven unit. the electrician is happy with the ventilation gap so I'm all good to go now.

Lindy :smile:

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @lindyw 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the kitchen ready for use.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects