Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix a crack inside the fridge please?

rustyicon
Getting Established

How to fix a crack inside the fridge please?

Hi All,

I was putting some shopping away in my fridge & when i went close the top fridge door I noticed a crack. No idea how this happened, Is there a tape i can purchase to put over it? I have just put clear tape for the moment but not sure if thats good for the long term. Any help would be very much appreciated.

best regardsIMG_0516.jpgIMG_0517.jpgIMG_0518.jpgIMG_0519.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix a crack inside the fridge please?

Hi @rustyicon,

I'd suspect it will be difficult to successfully perform an aesthetic repair on this area unless you can pull the sunken section back up flush. However, we do have Selleys 3ml Power Grip All Plastics Glue, which should do an excellent job of sealing the crack. Your fridge liner should either be an ABS plastic or polystyrene. This glue definitely works on ABS, and you might like to do a small test section to ensure it is compatible with polystyrene. By all accounts, it should be. 

It's a two-part system where you first apply the primer and then the adhesive. You must apply the glue at room temperature, so turn your fridge off and leave the door open for at least half an hour prior. You might like to apply some painter's tape around the split to minimise excess glue on the surrounding liner. Clean the area thoroughly and coat the exposed edge and adjacent areas to the split with primer. Then, apply the glue.

You might be able to re-align the liner by massaging the plastic next to the sunken section. By pushing it down, it could grip the sunken section and pull it back up. This would be ideal if you could re-align it as you'll then glue the flush split.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thankyou very much Mitchell.

I really appreciate your help. Im going to Bunnings to purchase the Shelleys glue/painters tape & follow your instructions.

Much Appreciated.

Keep us updated, and reach out if you need further assistance @rustyicon. We're here to help.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell.

Did you read the reviews on the Bunnings site for that Sellys glue product? Clearly, Caroline is not a fan. 😊

I've had mixed success with gluing plastics over the years. I have had success with Araldite on fridge plastic, particularly with the trays, but as you say aesthetically it looks awful. My kids were very rough with the fridges we purchased over the years.

I've also had success with those glue pens that require ultra-violet light to set...

20220412_091556.jpg

But for the last couple of years I've also been trying plastic welding. Mixed results but in some cases it's been superb. The big problem is identifying the correct plastic and with fridge plastic - I'm not sure if you can buy white plastic sticks?

Do Bunnings sell them?

20220412_091539.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Noyade

I've read the reviews and it's a mixed bag. But there are circumstances in which a certain type of glue won't work with a certain type of plastic. I've seen the UV activated glues and I think they are amazing. However, if the surface of the plastic is prepared properly and there are no contaminants when it's applied. It should have a good chance of working.

Eric

Hi Mitchell,

Finally got to the fridge & Followed your instructions &.... it worked.

Many thanks for your help, very happy with the outcome.

thanks again

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @rustyicon

Thank you for the update on your fridge repair. I'm sure my colleague @MitchellMc will be happy to hear that his recommendation was effective. Would it be possible for you to post a picture of the repaired section of the fridge? I'm sure our members are keen to see what the repair looks like. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

I would like help I have this same type of crack on a fridgedaire refrigerator and it's two cracks by each other.

Can you help me? 

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

A warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, @Kat12355. We're delighted to have you join our community.

Thanks for your question. Our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @MitchellMc will be happy to provide some advice as soon as he can. 

In the meantime, can I please request you to provide any photos of the cracks you mentioned? This will help Mitch and our other helpful members provide more tailored advice suited to your needs.

Let me know if you need a hand uploading photos. Happy to assist.

Akanksha

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects