Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix broken rangehood plastic sensor?

kantoon
Getting Established

How to fix broken rangehood plastic sensor?

Hi

The plastic part that helps turn the range hood on/off when the rangehood drawer is pushed in and out has snapped off meaning the only way to turn it on/off is manually through the switch instead of pulling the range hood in/out. 

how can I fix this without buying a new rangehood?

thanks 

7ABD9406-46FD-4B63-A224-5C738FC64D17.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix broken rangehood plastic sensor?

Hello @kantoon

I'm sorry to hear that the switch on your range hood has broken off. I hope you kept the broken piece so we can glue it back. In order to glue the broken switch back on, you'll need to wash both the remaining part and the broken part in soap and bleach. This will strip the plastic pieces of grease and oil. Failure to thoroughly clean the parts will render the glue ineffective. 

Once you've cleaned both sides of the plastic switch, you'll need two bread clips or an old plastic credit card. These will be used to support the broken pieces. I recommend using Gorilla Glue 51ml Clear Bottle to attach the plastic pieces together. Trim the plastic bread clip and glue the broken piece onto it and glue it onto the main switch. Attach another plastic clip at the bottom to have support on both sides. 

The magic ingredient to the repair is a tiny bulldog clip. Once the assembly is stuck on place the bulldog clip in the middle of the break and remove the stainless steel arms of the bulldog clip. Allow the glue to dry off before using the range hood. I've placed a diagram below to give you an idea of how it's supposed to be put together.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
kantoon
Getting Established

Thanks! It worked a treat! 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @kantoon 

I'm glad you got it repaired. Would it be possible for you to post a photo of your repair work? I'm sure our members would be keen to see what it looks like. It should come in handy for those members who have the same problem.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
kantoon
Getting Established

3AB561A0-18DB-4560-94AB-FB2293855169.jpeg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Excellent work gentlemen! 👍

The missing piece is longer than I thought.

I love to see innovative fixes like this!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects