Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to reduce the height of this bar stool

Falcon
Just Starting Out

How to reduce the height of this bar stool

Hi There,

Can someone please advise how to reduce the height of these brand new bar stools?

We bought these stools recently and didn't check the height in comparison to the kitchen benchtop.

These are pretty high and doesn't suit our needs.

Can the legs be cut and will they still be fine to use?

Thanks,IMG-8474.JPGIMG-8475.JPG

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to reduce the height of this bar stool

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Falcon. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

Could we have a closer look at the foot section? It would be helpful to know how they are connected and if they are an insert which can be removed. If they were able to be removed you could potentially cut the legs shorter and then re-insert the foot section.

We look forward to seeing some additional images and offering a solution to this issue.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How to reduce the height of this bar stool

They do look very high compared to the bench in the photo.

How much leg length needs to be removed?

I'm with Mitchell above. If the inserts can be easily removed and replaced, cut the legs shorter.

But with that, the reinforcing square rod will be very close to the floor - would that be an issue?

Cutting them - I'd be hopeless using an angle grinder with a cutting wheel. I'd be trying a pipe cutter. However the pipe cutter handle needs to be small enough to swivel and not keep hitting the opposing legs. If the metal legs are very thin you might be able to get away with a small plumbing pipe cutter?

Once cut you may need to use a round file to de-burr the inside of the legs so the foot can easily be re-inserted. The other issue is the cut will be 90 degrees to the leg surface. Will the insert once back in place, move so that it fits flat on the floor?

Cheers

Graeme.

20201119_132102.jpgScan0397.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects