Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to renovate laminate cupboards and rippled bench?

Jodes01
Just Starting Out

How to renovate laminate cupboards and rippled bench?

Hiya - from a late 80’s kitchen with cream laminate cupboards and an old textured tortoise coloured bench top. (I didn’t know tortoises meant dark brown yellow red all smooshed into one…

When we purchased the property 5 years ago we went and bought all the appliances (great deal with Joyce Mayne) and we have only now just installed all our new appliances. Oven, gas cook top, range hood, dishwasher all great. Luckily we didn’t need the warranty because it’s to late now if we did!

Anyways, we are happy with the layout of the kitchen, but the doors are not custom size. I think they are in ok shape and on our current budget would prefer to paint them.

Laminate cupboards and rippled bench (not flat) need a makeover.

..Any tips or suggestions would be extremely appreciated

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to renovate laminate cupboards and rippled bench?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Jodes01. We're really pleased to have you join us and look forward to seeing how you can transform your kitchen.

For some inspiration, please take a look at the projects featured in 10 kitchens transformed with paint.

It would also be great if you could please share some photos so our members can see what you are working with and provide more specific and helpful advice. 

Many thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: 80s kitchen budget renovation

Hi @Jodes01 

If you're after a quick revamp of the kitchen, it would definitely help if we could see its current condition. We can make suggestions for door colour, benchtop type and cabinet handles.

I suggest having a quick look at this featured project - Kitchen revamp using paint by @stelz. It's an excellent example of how you can transform the look and feel of your kitchen with paint. If the benchtop can be repaired, it's possible to change its appearance with paint as well. 

If you need a hand posting the photos, please let us know.

Eric

Jodes01
Just Starting Out

Re: 80s kitchen budget renovation

Thank you so much Eric

I really appreciate the response. The bench top is in good order… No repairs needed. It’s just the colour that is the issue and the fact that it does not have a flat top it has a textured surface. It has a rippled effect which might not have the desired affect if painted with the incorrect product.

More than happy to show before and after pictures.. I just need to make sure I am using the most suitable products. We purchased paint to do the tiles in our bathroom but it said we needed to use it within 7 days of the paint being tinted which we did not realise and that timeframe has passed. The paint cost $278 to buy and we are now reluctant to use it. Do you think we still could?

Jodes01
Just Starting Out

Will do - just need to make sure I am purchasing the right products..

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Jodes01 

I don't recommend using the expired paint because it begins to cure the moment you add the activator to it. You have a very brief window to use it and after that time has passed the paint is no longer reliable.

I recommend having a look at the Dulux Renovation Range. This particular paint set has been specifically made to paint over laminated surfaces. It can also paint over tiles, benchtops and flooring. 

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to Paint Laminate Kitchen Cabinets

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects