Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace the base of montgomery cupboard with wheels?

kartheesh
Cultivating a Following

How to replace the base of montgomery cupboard with wheels?

Hi Team

i have this old kitchen cupboard of which I have removed the base to fit in my house.The dimensions currently are 170X60X40..I am thinking of adding castors to the base so I can move the cupboard..

my concerns are would installing castors be a hazard like the cupboard might fall with the weight..

Also adding castors which supports 200kg  in total would it damage the base as I might place some weight on the base too would a fifth wheel help or is it better to go with wooden base as it was earlier..

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to replace the base of montgomery cupboard with wheels?

Hello @kartheesh 

Thanks for sharing your question about your Montgomery cupboard. Would it be possible for you to post a photo of your cupboard? This will give our members a better idea of which model you have. We can then make recommendations on how to proceed.

When putting castors on a tall cabinet one of the main issues is centre of gravity. Ideally you want all the weight of the cabinet to be at the bottom so that you don't get a pendulum effect when pushing the cabinet in any direction. When all the weight is at the bottom, it becomes harder to tip the cabinet over. 

The other concern is structural integrity, the cabinet body has to stay rigid so that any force applied to it prevents the body from shearing. Failure to reinforce the body will cause the cabinet to tear at the sides and fall apart.

We look forward to seeing the photos of the cupboard.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
kartheesh
Cultivating a Following

IMG_0518.jpeg

IMG_0517.jpeg

please find the images of the cupboard note I have removed the base for me to fit it in my old space

Hi @kartheesh,

Unfortunately, taller pantry cabinets must be fixed to a wall and wouldn't be suitable to be on castors. Fixing the cabinet to a wall is a requirement in the installation instructions set by the manufacturer, as is mandated by law. It's a great idea, but unfortunately, taller, thin cabinetry can easily topple forward and cause crushing injuries; it's a real safety risk. I'd hate for you or someone in your household to suffer an injury, so please don't attempt to do this.

If you are looking at movable storage solutions, please let us know your requirements, and our helpful members can provide alternative solutions.

Mitchell

kartheesh
Cultivating a Following

How about having adjustable furniture legs for the wardrobe would it work or  do I use two boards and glue it to the bottom not sure if it would support when I glue 

Has the game plan shifted, @kartheesh? I noted previously you wanted the castors to move the unit around; what would you like to achieve now? Are you just hoping to recreate the base for it to sit on and be raised above the ground? 

You could certainly install an adjustable screw-on leg set. You can then install a kickboard at the front of them to finish the bottom and hide the legs.

Once again, you still need to fix the unit to the wall to prevent it from toppling forward.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Hi @kartheesh 

"I have removed the base to fit in my house"

"I have removed the base for me to fit it in my old space"

Is there any chance of seeing this "old space" to understand why you had to cut the base off? Maybe another solution can be found? But you definitely need something on the base - otherwise the doors will never open.

What is that piece of wood indicated below?

Capture.PNG

kartheesh
Cultivating a Following

That was a small piece i just glued to temporarily balance the cupboard as my cut was not perfect and there was some wobble. I had removed the other pieces but this was the last one that was left.

kartheesh
Cultivating a Following

Thanks Mitchell, Yea bunnings people said castor is not the best idea and so going with the adjustable screw set

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects