Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to update kitchen on a budget?

kagomechan
Growing in Experience

How to update kitchen on a budget?

20220617_133740.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to update kitchen on a budget

Hello @kagomechan

Thanks for sharing your question about updating your kitchen on a budget. One way to update the look of your kitchen is to paint the doors and panels. I recommend using either the Dulux Renovation Range or the White Knight Renew. Both these products are formulated to go on laminated doors, panels and benchtops. If you have a bit of wiggle room in your budget, you can do a benchtop update in combination with the paint. Refreshing the splashback will also do wonders for the overall look of the kitchen.

Would it be possible for you to post more pictures of the kitchen? This will let our members assess its condition. We can then make recommendations on what else you can do to update the look of your kitchen.

Here is a link for ideas and inspiration: 10 kitchens transformed with paint.

Here are some amazing painted kitchen updates our Workshop members have shared:

Let me call on our experienced members @redbournreno, @prettyliving and @craftyhopper for their recommendations.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the start of your kitchen revamp.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Ari
Having an Impact

Re: How to update kitchen on a budget?

It’s now 4 years since I painted my kitchen cupboards with White Knight. Aside from some chips around the microwave shelf, and a little blistering next to the range hood, it still looks great.  Highly recommended. 

I used the Dulux Renovation range on my bathroom tiles - both wall and floor tiles - about 18 months ago.  They still look fantastic - including the floor tiles!  I will caveat that both bathrooms are off bedrooms so rarely have shoes worn in them, no kids in the house and I put some felt pieces under the bathroom scales to prevent chips.  

I’ve done lots of tiling.  If I had the money to pay someone, then hat would be my first choice. But if I didn’t, I’d choose painting over re-tiling any day. 

kagomechan
Growing in Experience

Re: how to update kitchen on a budget

Thanks Eric for sharing the links above. I'll have a look. I've a very large benchtop space and am concerned about the cost to change them

kagomechan
Growing in Experience

Thanks Ari for sharing your experience with painting your cabinets

I didn’t do my benchtops and obviously they have more propensity to chip, but if you don’t want to replace them yet I would still recommend having a go.

All Workshop advice was dead against painting floor tiles. I used extra coats and am a little careful and they’ve been great. 

If you do your benchtops, I would:

1. do as many coats as you can (the paint goes a long way).

2. aim to live with clearer benchtops by finding a home in a cupboard or shelf for everything.

3. Get felt underlays for your kettle etc that needs to stay on the benchtops.

4. Stick plastic nubbins under your cutting boards.

Good luck! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects