Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Is my rangehood working properly?

firsthome2022
Growing in Experience

Is my rangehood working properly?

I have a vented slide out rangehood. The cupboard above absorbs a lot of the odour from the rangehood. I can't keep much in there because if it. If the range is installed properly should that be the case? Do I also need to cover these vents on the front of the unit?

PXL_20220109_010158850.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: is my rangehood working properly?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @firsthome2022. It's wonderful to have you join us and many thanks for your question about rangehoods.

The top section of your cupboard appears completely separate from the rangehood unit. You might like to run the unit and check to see whether you feel any air escaping around the pipe that passes through the top section. It might have become detached from the top of the rangehood and is now venting straight into the top section.

If the air isn't entering around the pipe then it could only be coming up the front near that vent you've mentioned. I would not cover it as it is likely for cooling for the motor. You could possibly stick some Raven 5m White Superior Door And Window Weather Strip along the bottom edge of the cupboard carcass which might stop any air travelling up into it.

When was the last time you cleaned the filter out or replaced it? I'm just wondering is a full filter might start the unit venting to unusual locations.

Let me mention a couple of our very clever members @Noyade and @TedBear to see if they have any thoughts.

Mitchell

leak.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @firsthome2022 , if your rangehood has been installed properly then no, it should not be putting odours into the cupboard.  The vents at the front suggest that this is a unit with the option of external or recirculating venting. (Is it a De longhi?)

You should remove the filter pads and look up inside to make sure that it has been configured correctly to push the air up the outlet pipe and not been accidentally left in recirculation mode. 

Can you feel air coming out of those front vents? 

Thanks for the reply.  Its a Platinum brand unit. It does have the option of external or recirculating and its set on external.  I cant feel air coming out of the front vents but I can feel air in the cupboard above the rangehood. 

Thanks for the reply. I take the filters out every few weeks and clean them out as the oil just drips from them otherwise. I also then have to wipe up oil from the motor itself and around where the lightbulbs and fans are.  Great tip about the weather strip, think ill try that and put it around the pipe in the cupboard to stop smells coming up as well. 

@firsthome2022,

"I can feel air in the cupboard above the rangehood." I would believe that this air could potentially be escaping the joint between the ducting and the rangehood. If so, that would be the source of the odour. Can you see if the ducting is loose or disconnected if you stand on a ladder?

Mitchell

PXL_20220126_055524681.jpg

id say the odours are coming up from around the pipe as the cord is sticking through it and its not a tight seal.  Might try that weather seal. Thanks for the advice.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @firsthome2022

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @MitchellMc and @TedBear. I suggest testing to see if you can lift the exhaust pipe up. If you manage to lift the tube up that means that it's not connected to the range hood itself. The ducting for your rangehood is suppose to be airtight. Any smell coming from your cooktop mustn't enter the cabinet, it has to be pumped out of the house straight away. 

If the exhaust pipe is loose, the only way to repair it is to remove the range hood and seal the pipe to the top of the unit. Please keep in mind that if it has been in this condition for a long time all the surfaces will have to be washed down with soap so that all the oil and grease will be removed. This will let the sealing tape get a good grip on the surfaces of the range hood and exhaust pipe.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects