Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Kitchen herb storage ideas

Andadams
Having an Impact

Kitchen herb storage ideas

Does anyone have any nifty suggestions for dried herb storage for a fairly compact kitchen? I have a large array of herbs which would be great to find a way to have them easily accessible and organised.

Herbs.jpg

Re: Kitchen herb storage ideas

Hi @Julieg9426,

Hopefully, @Isobel will be able to tell us more about her draw liner as I haven't seen anything like that available to purchase. It does look somewhat homemade and could be lengths of Porta 9.5mm Tasmanian Oak Dowel - 1.2m cut to size and covered with Boyle self-adhesive film to create the corrugations.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Diane1
Just Starting Out

Where can you buy inserts like these please?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Diane1,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's great to have you join in the discussion. I trust you'll get loads of helpful advice and inspiring ideas from our wonderful members.

Let me tag @Isobel to see if she can assist you with where these inserts came from. I suspect they might be a D.I.Y. project. Let me also tag the ever-helpful @EricL to see how we would go about creating them.

Thanks,

Jason

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Diane1

Thank you for sharing your question about herb storage. You can recreate this very practical storage system with some 50mm PVC pipes or cardboard tubes. If you're using PVC, you'll need to use a Multi-tool to cut the pipe. But if you're using cardboard tubes, you'll need to use a Stanley FatMax 9mm Rubber Grip Snap-off Knife. It's important to get the right tube size, so make sure to bring one of your herb bottles to test on the tube. The rule for choosing is the herb bottle must fit inside the tube. One important tip, if you choose to use cardboard make sure the walls are thick enough that they will not collapse when handled roughly.

Before going to the store, make sure to measure the interior size of your drawer so that you'll know how much pipe to get.

Here are the general steps to building your herb storage.

• Once you've chosen your pipe, find the centre of the pipe and draw a line on the side of the pipe. Draw another line on the opposite side of the pipe thereby dividing the pipe equally in half. Using the recommended tool, cut the pipe in half.  

• For the PVC pipe, I suggest sanding the cut sides to give it a nice smooth finish. If you used cardboard, I suggest cutting slowly so that you will have a nice smooth finish on the edge.

• Place the cut pipe side by side. You can now apply your choice of  Boyle self-adhesive film. I recommend taking your time to avoid creating bubbles in the film.

• Repeat the process until you have enough storage or until your drawer is full. Use the adhesive film to join the pipes together.

I've placed some images below so that you'll have an idea of how the process goes. If you have any other questions about the process, please don't hesitate to post them.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your herb storage built. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

shaz17
Just Starting Out

Hi there

this would be perfect for caravan drawer. How is it made please

sharon

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @shaz17

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your query about herb storage.

If you'll look at my last post in this discussion, I've lined out the assembly process for the herb storage. It's actually made of PVC or cardboard tubes that have been cut precisely in half and joined together with Boyle self-adhesive film. You simply repeat the process until the drawer is full and then you can lay out your herb bottles.

If you have any questions about the process, please don't hesitate to post them.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

WOW @Andadams   this looks awesome, rustic.. which I love...  

I'm trying to come up with some storage ideas for a coffee/ shelf / nook, too go on a wall beside my kitchen sink. 

I may just do something similar to this but with deeper shelves and possibly some wrought iron.... 

Thank you for sharing

This Old Gal

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects