Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Opening shelving using void between dining and study

WadeRenos
Building a Reputation

Opening shelving using void between dining and study

I purchased this house 6 yrs ago and the void between the dining area and the study always bothered me.   I didn’t like the idea of shutters because it would enclose the spaces, so I drew up this plan for open shelving, contacted a few builders, who never responded.

How hard can it be? I asked myself.

So off to Bunnings, for some large panels of 18mm MDF.  

Armed with my Stanley tape measure, pencil and Ryobi One+ Circular Saw, I set to work.   

Using the guide attachment on the saw, I cut the lengths of MDF to the correct width.   From there, I made the external frame, and all the cuts for the internal shelves.   I assembled it on the floor of the dining room, crosschecking measurements/angles etc, ensuring everything was square as I drilled the holes and screwed everything i to place.  

crossing my fingers, and praying it would be a snug fit, I asked my son to assist with lifting into place.    Using the spirit level and a few little pieces of timber to wedge into the gaps, prior to clamping, drilling and screwing into place.

Using MDF, I decided to apply two coats of primer, followed by two top coats.  Lots of sanding between coats of paint, and of course all visible nail holes were puttied and lightly sanded prior to first undercoat.  

This has been my DIY July project.  I have today purchased the architrave and hope to have this installed next week, which will finish off the project.  Without the availability of a drop saw, I have purchased a mitre block, and a fine toothed hand saw 🪚 to obtain the necessary 45degree angles. 

Feeling proud of the finished result.

I am a single mum and it is really satisfying to accomplish something like this.  

D0022979-AACF-41F9-88E0-1F0C74149103.jpeg

F6EBFBC3-6989-4452-904F-51B338488CA6.jpeg

426BE1F7-3A5B-40ED-A288-1ACD9A31E1E8.jpeg

B231D5B3-D098-4605-BA8E-2043AC5EB4F4.jpeg

375C7556-4DFF-4B0F-AA27-C57188D80E6B.jpeg

0A8C31C9-B326-479B-88C3-B723AC531A82.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Opening shelving using void between dining and study

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @WadeRenos. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for sharing this unique project.

I'm really impressed with your handiwork! You've added so much interest to the space, and I trust you are delighted with the results. You should be really proud, as you've done an excellent job. I can't wait to see what you accomplish next!

Well done.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Afternoon @WadeRenos 

I echo @MitchellMc  compliments - it looks really nice! Well done!

Now, tell me about the Saturn V (?) model, please. 😁

Airfix?

WadeRenos
Building a Reputation

Thank you for liking my shelving. I have accomplished a few other projects around the house and garden, and also tried my hand at up cycling old furniture.    
Will post some other photos soon. 

WadeRenos
Building a Reputation

Thanks for liking my first project.   Have actually done a few others and will probably create a few new posts. 
The Saturn 5 is my son’s lego.  I designed the shelving so as to provide a space for this to be showcased.  

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects