Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Painted kitchen cabinets

Aaina
Having an Impact

Painted kitchen cabinets

As a first home buyer, we were always excited to execute DIYs and give makeover to our home as we wanted. Most of our Kitchen area including cabinets, slab and floor were in white tones though it look good but not what we wanted.

Inspired from Bunnings and Dulux paint collection we finally agree to re paint our cabinets and Island Grey and add some led lights to it. 

It took 2 person and around 3 days and cost us approx $270 for the complete makeover that we thoroughly enjoyed. Thankyou to Bunnings for for your expert advice helping us choose the best colour for our DIY project.

Before picture:

IMG_7769.jpeg

Final result:

IMG_7774.jpeg

Some more:

IMG_7771.jpeg

Steps

Step 1

Step1: We took out all the cabinets doors and their handles

Step 2

Step 2: We applied masking tapes behind the cabinet doors, on the wall corners and floor to protect unwanted paint

Step 3

Step 3: We did sanding to all the cabinet doors and Island to make them even and throughly cleaned the surface later

Step 4

Step 4: Then we applied one layer of primer using roller brushes and left it for drying overnight

Step 5

Step 5: Later we applied the first coat of Dulux Renovation range for cabinet doors in Signature colour and again left it drying for around 5-6 hours 

Step 6

Step 6: Upon drying first coat of paint, we did bit of sanding to even out the paint, cleaned them and applied second coat of paint, left it to dry for around 5-6hrs

Step 7

Step 7: Finally we removed all the masking tapes from the cabinets doors, cleaned them and fitted it back to the shelves. Also removed rest of the tapes from wall corners and floor.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Kitchen Makeover

Hello @Aaina 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your kitchen makeover.

Congratulations on becoming a first-time kitchen homeowner and taking the initiative to transform your white kitchen into a stylish island grey one! 

Island grey is a versatile and sophisticated colour choice that adds a touch of timeless elegance to any space. It creates a contemporary and sleek atmosphere while still remaining warm and inviting. By choosing island grey as your kitchen colour, you've achieved a modern and chic aesthetic. The subtle undertones and depth of grey can create a sleek and polished look that effortlessly complements a wide range of design styles, from minimalist to industrial or even farmhouse.

Island grey acts as an excellent base colour, providing a neutral backdrop that allows you to explore various design possibilities. With grey as your foundation, you can easily incorporate pops of colour through accessories, fruit baskets, colourful bar stools or kitchen benchtop appliances to create a personalized and dynamic look.

Again, thank you for sharing such a fantastic kitchen makeover.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Painted kitchen cabinets

Let me also extend a warm welcome to our Bunnings Workshop community, @Aaina. We're simply delighted to have you join us! 

I agree with Eric. You've done a great job in dramatically transforming your kitchen. Projects like yours often get recognised in our Top Ideas articles like 10 kitchens transformed with paint and I won't be surprised to see your project in a similar list one day. 

Do you have any tips for those members who may also be looking to paint their cabinets? What are some factors to consider when choosing which paint colour to go with?

Congratulations once again, and I'm looking forward to seeing more of your terrific work.

Akanksha 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Afternoon @Aaina 

$270.....  Wow, really wow :smile: For spending so little look at the difference in feeling and style you have created! I think the grey looks a lot more modern. 

What a easy way of updating. Makes me reconsider types of doors when installing a kitchen. Maybe next time I should go for something a little more easy to update instead of something polyurethane coated :smile: 

Well done.

Dave

buildwithroneth
Having an Impact

Hi @Aaina Thank you so much for sharing!  We are looking to do similar and quite hesitant because we'd never painted laminate type cupboards.  Looking at how this turned out, I can't wait to re-do our kitchen cupboard doors and island bench!  Love how this turned out!  Amazing work!  😊

Any further advice regarding prep for painting as we were looking to spray paint instead of using the roller - brush?  Am currently planning to practice on some of our wall unit shelves to get a hang of spray painting 😉

Aaina
Having an Impact

Re: Kitchen Makeover

Thankyou Eric, very well articulated!

No regrets, choosing Grey was a wise decision, this indeed has created a sleek and polished look effortlessly.

And kitchen stools are def on the list.

Thanks again for writing back to me☺️

Aaina
Having an Impact

Thanks Dave, 

Certainly, Grey turns out amazing!

All the best for your project 🤗

Thankyou buildwithroneth ☺️

Bunnings expert advise to choose Dulux renovation range for cabinet doors certainly helped us here.

I believe you could spray paint laminate furniture in similar way, just make sure it is completely clean, the surface is prepared with a primer and you use the proper paint (Worth check with Bunnings team they can def recommend some )

All the best for your project 🤗

Thankyou Akanksha,

We are equally delighted looking at the final results 🤗 

Yes def some tips to look out here,

* If working with rollers, consider choosing the ones which are for cabinet paints to give glossy finish.

* Make sure you clean the paint tray or replace it with new in between drying coats to avoid sticky lumps from the older dried paint.

* Use masking tapes as much as possible to avoid unwanted paint marks.

* Have patience, enjoy and trust the process ☺️

Jatin_B
Finding My Feet

Can’t be better!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects