Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Painting gas hobs

MaxHeadroom
Just Starting Out

Painting gas hobs

Hi there,

I've got a gas oven who's hobs and metal paintwork around the gas jets have deteriorated over time and now is the time to freshen them up. So I'm wondering how to get the correct paint that will tolerate such high temperatures. I've seen the spray paints being sold at automotive shops for high temperatures in automotive places, but they're for tailpipes and engine bay temperatures of about 500c. These blue gas jet flames are just under 2000c! I haven't come across anything yet in a spray can that will tolerate 2000c day in day out. Can you suggest a spray paint that will tolerate ultra high-temperature direct flames because that's what I'm dealing with here? Thanks very much. M

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Painting gas hobs

Hi @MaxHeadroom,

Welcome to the Workshop community. We're pleased you could join us and trust that our helpful members will be able to make some suggestions for you. 

Feel free to reach out if you ever need a hand with getting the most from the site.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MartyH
Amassing an Audience
MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

@MaxHeadroom The tips of the blue flame may be 2000c but I doubt the fixture they emit from is anywhere close to that. I've searched a few paints online, which appear to be what you are needing it for and they all specify well under 2000c. I'm getting the impression the stove may have a selling point "Produces a jet flame of 2000c" but that may not be the temp we need a paint to withstand.

Either way your best point of reference would be the manufacturer, just give them a quick call. You may find they actually can supply a touch-up at your cost. 

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

MaxHeadroom
Just Starting Out

Hi MartyH, thanks a lot for the link. I'm afraid the blue gas jets are just a tad under 2000c and therefore the paint would need to tolerate that type of temperature. Thanks again.

Max

JDE
Becoming a Leader

Hi M 

While the flames may reach 2000C that is only at the very tip of the light blue flame ( heat rises) Not at the base or lower down. I think you will find iron / steel melts at 1500C and will glow red hot at 460C neither of which happens so the temperature at the base must be lower than this. At school we used to pick up a bunsen burner with a 1600C flame comfortably by its base, similar concept. If the manufacturer can't tell you the base temperature you could use an infrared thermometer to check. In the Smeg gas oven user manual it has a warning that the inside of the hobs may exceed 125C??

James

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects