Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Pull out storage to utilise space next to fridge

DIYology
Having an Impact

Pull out storage to utilise space next to fridge

4305AD15-5669-45E5-80A3-53A379BBA6D3.jpeg

160CE073-4B17-4FE8-BC6A-CA3B0F9A7CE5.jpeg

Pull out options for small cabinets that are otherwise unusable gave me the idea to utilise the space next to my fridge in this way. 

Its really handy and tucks away nicely and seamlessly when not in use. 

Made it with some pine, dowel, some screws, runners, paint and a spare handle. 

Community manager's note: As this project has been incredibly popular with members, @MitchellMc has created a step-by-step guide with a full list of tools and materials so you can easily build your own. Check it out here - How to build a slimline spice rack.

** Currently employed @ Bunnings however my posts, ideas, projects, views & opinions are my own personal & not Bunnings **
Maree1
Cultivating a Following

Re: Pull out storage to utilise space next to fridge

I need someone to build a pull out shelf to fit in the gap between my fridge & the kitchen bench. The gap is 25cm from side of fridge to side of bench. And it would need to be no higher than 170cm tall.

Id love to get a list & quote for materials to build something suitable for my requirements. And if there might be someone at Bunnings North Launceston who could assist with it :smile: Thank you Jason for getting back to me. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi again @Maree1, thanks for clarifying. I think your approach of listing on Airtasker is a good one, as that site is focused on "do-it-for-me", whereas Workshop focuses on connecting people who are passionate about "do-it-yourself". 

If you did want to tackle the build yourself, @DIYology mentioned in his first post that the project used pine, dowel, screws, runners, paint and a handle. If you made a list and a simple drawing of what you wanted to build, I'm sure one of the team at Bunnings North Launceston would be happy to assist you with finding the items you need. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
salbra69
Growing in Experience

I’ve recently made one of these too and am combining that with cabinets over the fridge to give that fridge recess some more storage. Can’t believe we didn’t do it at the time we built this house, but it was our first build so I guess we had to stuff something up.
I’ve used two runners to keep my sliding cabinet running smoothly as it’s almost 1.8m high and fills 25cm of the 28cm gap I had between the recess wall and the fridge....perfect distance to allow airflow around the fridge. I cheated totally with this build and bought a $30 bookcase that I built upside down, installing lengths of white curtain pole that I had already, and cut to size, across the front of each shelf to keep the contents on the shelf even when it’s in motion. I added a nice solid piece of timber to the bottom (that used to be the top) so that I had enough depth of timber to attach 4 awesome rollers to the moving masterpiece and then I added two handles, one left and one right at different heights, to match our existing cabinetry...and it actually fit, and it actually worked, and I was over the moon.....then I realised the thing was still able to tip to the right into the 3cm gap I’d allowed for airflow around our fridge....so I nipped to Bunnings and spent $10 on the draw runners...they are the perfect solution! Now I just have to figure out how best to add a stud wall into the huge deep recess above my fridge so that I can attach wall cabinets that will fit across the entire space and that the fronts of will sit flush with the front of the recess and my sliding cupboard....
it’s a bit daunting but I’m very glad I can come here and search for some helping hints and guidance ....
I’ll be attempting to rope in my teenagers to manhandle the 118cm wide cabinetry up there.....(or should I just skip this step?? I think we all know it’s gonna be too hard for them, and their little PlayStation affected arms are just going to be sore, and they’ll tell me they don’t do manual work, they’ll probably expect that I have insurances to cover any unforeseen event during the 10 minutes I’ll be “employing” them to help out...and at least one of them is going to be hell bent on getting a white card before he enters the worksite (aka the kitchen...and yes, actually he’ll be required to be in the very spot he sneaks out to at ridiculous o’clock every night, to raid the ice creams, drink whatever he fancies straight from its bottle or carton, and double dipping his fingers into my home made desserts, pots of ready made custard and his sisters dip pots that she’s made to take to school, then finishing up with a sampling of all and any confectionary within the fridge walls, no matter who it belongs to & no matter whether it is already open or not!! yep ..clearly it’s a hazardous place for him to “work”! 🤪) and he will want to check all the OH&S stuff, get a days off site training, and be supplied with PPE, a break and a cut lunch before he is appropriately ready to be present in an area where hand tools are being utilised and sharp items are being operated by other individuals!
Yes he means me! The p Mother of this 16 year old paper pusher... (and also the mother of his 6 siblings, four of whom are between 26 and 31 years old, and all of whom would help me in an instant if they were still living at home, Or came to visit from their various interstate postings and in between outback adventures, and making more grand babies for me to miss!) To them it’s natural to help out no matter what needs doing. - to my 16 year old I’m clearly a woman in her 50’s who has nothing else to do around here, and I would love to be responsible for injuring my kids with hand tools, (yes that’s sarcasm...I’m not a nutter😄). I know after that painful convo that I’ll be a hairs breadth away from losing my mind, and I will lose it however, and I’ll also lose my rag, I’ll spit the dummy and it’ll all end in tears (both his and mine....peri menopause I’m calling mine🥵).......so maybe It’s wiser to just call my Local Bunnings and Kaboodle it!!!

Hi @yarrawarra 

Firstly, I must apologise for my late reply. My wife and I had a baby and I have been absent from the site for too long. 

Regarding this project: the most important part are the runners that are connected between the thicker slats, and the end panel of the kitchen. This holds the frame of the unit I have built upright. There are no wheels at the bottom. I’ve used 4 runners because I’m a hopeless over engineerer... they each hold up to 50kg’s. 

- Adam 

** Currently employed @ Bunnings however my posts, ideas, projects, views & opinions are my own personal & not Bunnings **

Thanks @Stuardo  !!

Firstly, I must apologise for my late reply. My wife and I had a baby and I have been absent from the site for too long. 

I’ve been thinking up some great idea’s for the spring / summer season so please be sure to keep an eye out for my next installments. 

- Adam 

Hi @Maree1

This was something I dreamed up and not able to be purchased off a shelf unfortunately. 

-Adam 

@salbra69 

Great work mate !! 

Prof
Becoming a Leader

Hi DIYology,

I was inspired by your pull out spice rack, so decided it was time I built mine..

Just plain and simple, but it works for me...

IMG_20190615_212759[1].jpg

DIYology
Having an Impact

Looks great @Prof !!

Thank you, it’s great to have this positive feedback, I love that someone got something out of it. 

Its one of the reasons I love working at Bunnings. We are able to help inspire and come up with creative solutions to customers projects.

Don’t be afraid to pop in and get some ideas or seek some this type of help from either myself or your local Bunnings team members anytime. 

- Adam

salbra69
Growing in Experience

Thank you! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects