Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What kind of adaptor to get for my benchtop dishwasher?

clam0618
Finding My Feet

What kind of adaptor to get for my benchtop dishwasher?

20220727_125637.jpg

20220728_152442.jpg

20220728_152513.jpg

Hi,

I bought a Kogan benchtop dishwasher. I heard that some sort of tap adaptor can be bought to install it on a normal tap. Does anyone know what I need to buy and is it easy to install?

Thank you,

Christine

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What kind of adaptor to get for my benchtop dishwasher?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @clam0618. It's amazing to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about connecting a benchtop dishwasher.

You might like to have a read through these previous discussions on the topic:

If you'd like to be able to disconnect the dishwasher quickly, then once the aerator is removed, install a Pope Indoor Tap Adaptor onto the end of the tap. Screw a Nylex 12mm Brass Sprinkler Adaptor into the end of your dishwasher hose. A Holman 12mm Double Ended Hose Connector will join the two male connectors. The Pope Indoor Tap Adaptor has a clip that lets you quickly disconnect the fitting and hose from your tap. 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you, I've ordered those bits from Bunnings and will try to set it up next week. Regarding the drainage hose, what do you recommend to get it to stay in the sink? It is quite long and bendy. My sinks are quite shallow, as you can see from the photos.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @clam0618

I suggest using the VELCRO® Brand 25 x 200mm Black Reusable Ties - 5 Pack to attach the drain hose to the tap and spout so that it keeps pointing into the sink. Once you're done using the dishwasher you can release the velcro and tidy up the hose. For a more permanent fix, you can use cable ties to keep the hose fixed in place.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Hi Mitchell,

Thank you. I bought all of those parts but I'm not having much luck. When I turn on the tap even just on a slight flow, after a short while the connections burst off the tap. I've attached a picture of the set up. Please help :smile:

Kind regards, 

Christine 

20220831_170424.jpg

20220831_171016.jpg

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @clam0618,

Let me also extend a warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. I am sorry to read that the adaptor keeps coming off. Would you mind sending a photo of the Indoor Tap Adaptor while it is on your tap? @EricL will be on later this afternoon and will be able to take a further look, but let me tag Workshop members @TheRenoDad and @TedBear to see if they have any advice. 

Katie

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @clam0618 

without my seeing it all in place....  that set up looks like it would be too long to fit into the sink area and would put sideways strain on the top clip fitting. I suggest that you replace the two way coupler with a flexible one which will allow the setup to go out to the side, where there is space for it, instead of straight down into the sink. That should allow the coupler to attach more firmly to the spout. 

https://www.bunnings.com.au/pope-12mm-swivel-2-way-snap-on-coupler_p3130619

(I am assuming that the top is where it is coming off after the water is turned on.... ?)

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @clam0618

I'm sorry that the fittings you have are not holding on to the tap. Unfortunately, the pressure from your kitchen tap might be too intense for the fitting, hence it releases its grip after a certain point. If that's the case, I suggest looking at this discussion - Benchtop dishwasher quick-release connection by @jenenev. This particular combination has so far proven most effective for benchtop dishwashers.

Parts needed to assemble the fitting:

The fitting requires that you put a garden hose in between the Brass Barbed Connectors. I suggest getting your gardenhose outside and trimming off a minimum length of 75mm or longer, depending on your needs. The assembly is fairly straightforward, place the hose clamps in the middle of the hose, push the Brass Barbed Connectors on either end of the hose and use the hose clamps to keep them in place.

The Brass sprinkler adaptor is already on your hose so all you need to replace is the tap connector with the Kinetic Adaptor Aerator kit. Push the fitting firmly into place and do the same on the hose side. Slowly turn the water on and test the fitting. The dishwasher has an electric solenoid that abruptly shuts off the water, I suggest not leaving the dishwasher until this particular process has happened. This is to make sure that the fitting can take the sudden change in pressure without letting go.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your benchtop dishwasher fittings working properly.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @EricL and @clam0618 

I wonder if something like this diverter could be installed at the sink outlet before the spout, so that the dishwasher fitting could just screw straight onto it and be left connected, with the diverter being shut off when not required ...?

https://www.bunnings.com.au/kinetic-chrome-handspray-diverter_p4790531?

If it could fit, then the spout would sit a bit higher than before. 

Just an untried idea.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @clam0618,

If you can connect the fitting securely, I'm not seeing any reason why it would pop off as it's designed to withstand standard home water pressure. Is it possible that you haven't connected the fitting correctly, or it's being stressed as per @TedBear's response? Have a look at the installation video below, specifically the section where you need to squeeze the handle and push the fitting right up and onto the tap adaptor. I'd hazard a guess that you're not pushing the fitting up hard enough while squeezing the handles. The fitting is likely not capturing the recessed section and locking in place.

Please let me know how you go.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects