Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Bedroom feature wall

kellyyang
Growing in Experience

Bedroom feature wall

Hi all, we recently finished our DIY bedroom reno. We were inspired by others on this forum to create a feature wall for our bedroom as the plain white wall was too boring!

Materials:

• Dulux primer paint - 1 litre
  • Dulux paint, Licorice Green, low sheen - 2 litres
  • MDF moulding, white pencil round, 67 x 12mm, 5.4m - x 8 (For a total of 43.2 metres)
  • Wood filler putty - 250g
  • Nail gun nails, 50mm - approx. 200

Tools:

• Nail gun (we used a compressed air one)
  • Painting supplies - roller, small brush, masking tape etc.
  • Sawing equipment

Finished wall - we quite like the effect of the yellow lights on the licorice green paint

IMG_1207.JPG

Before we started: IMG_1433.jpg

Putting up the mouldings:
Screen Shot 2021-12-23 at 22.26.03.png

Primer paint applied:

Screen Shot 2021-12-23 at 22.27.02.png

First coat of paint:

Screen Shot 2021-12-23 at 22.26.50.png

A couple more pictures of the final look:

IMG_1210.JPG

IMG_1209.JPG

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Bedroom feature wall DIY

Wow, what a brilliant result @kellyyang. Congratulations. I am so pleased you were inspired by other Bunnings Workshop community members. That's what this site is all about. I'm sure your fantastic work will also inspire others. 

Great to have you join us. We are looking forward to seeing what projects around the home and garden that you tackle next. Feel free to post anytime you need a hand or have something to share. 

Welcome,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Bedroom feature wall DIY

Hello @kellyyang

Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful bedroom feature wall and your materials and tools list. The yellow lights really make your feature wall stand out. That Licorice Green colour really stands out. I'm sure this will inspire a lot of our members to give this project a go. If you have any other projects you're working on. please don't hesitate to share them.

We look forward to seeing your next project.

Eric

Thurlo90
Finding My Feet

Re: Bedroom feature wall

Looks amazing you did a great job on the wall. Think I might do something similar for our master bedroom! 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Thurlo90. It's marvellous to have you join us, and many thanks for jumping into the conversation.

Let me mention @kellyyang, as I trust they'll be delighted to hear that their project has inspired you.

Keep us updated on your project and reach out if you need any assistance or would like to share your results with us. We'll be looking forward to seeing what you create.

Mitchell

ongbianca88
Getting Established

Hi! Would love to know how did u do it please? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ongbianca88,

I'm sure @kellyyang would be delighted to answer any questions you have about their project. Is there anything, in particular, you'd like to know that would assist you with getting started? Our other knowledgeable members will be keen to help out as well.

It appears they likely started by sketching out the pattern for the wall. Were you looking to design your own or replicate this one? Once you have your plan, it might be a good idea to transfer it onto the wall with painters tape to get a feel for the layout. Measurements can then be taken and your mouldings cut to size. If you were to purchase a nail gun or hire an air bradder for the day, it would make quick work of the project.

After the mouldings have been installed, any gaps can be covered with wood filler and sanded smooth. Once all the gaps are filled, you'll be ready to prime and then paint.

We'll be looking forward to hearing any questions you might have and assisting in completing this terrific project in your own home.

Mitchell

a different design. Based on your expert opinion, what is easier to do? This or a half dowel feature wall? Im a newbie diy-er 😂😅

The half dowel wall, @ongbianca88. That really just involves cutting the dowels to length and sticking them in place, whereas this project requires cut joints and finishing to get looking right. If you're not prepared to spend time working out those exact angles for the joints, you'll end up with a very unprofessional looking job.

Sticking half dowels to feature walls, coffee tables, under benchtops, headboards, or sideboards is generally one of the first forays in many people's D.I.Y. journey. Easy to do and instant gratification. I'm reasonably sure admittance to the Bunnings Mum's Facebook group requires you to have successfully completed at least one half dowel project. 😃

You should find this step-by-step guide useful: How to make a dowel feature wall.

Mitchell

Thank u!! 😀

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects