Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Bedroom feature wall

kellyyang
Growing in Experience

Bedroom feature wall

Hi all, we recently finished our DIY bedroom reno. We were inspired by others on this forum to create a feature wall for our bedroom as the plain white wall was too boring!

Materials:

• Dulux primer paint - 1 litre
  • Dulux paint, Licorice Green, low sheen - 2 litres
  • MDF moulding, white pencil round, 67 x 12mm, 5.4m - x 8 (For a total of 43.2 metres)
  • Wood filler putty - 250g
  • Nail gun nails, 50mm - approx. 200

Tools:

• Nail gun (we used a compressed air one)
  • Painting supplies - roller, small brush, masking tape etc.
  • Sawing equipment

Finished wall - we quite like the effect of the yellow lights on the licorice green paint

IMG_1207.JPG

Before we started: IMG_1433.jpg

Putting up the mouldings:
Screen Shot 2021-12-23 at 22.26.03.png

Primer paint applied:

Screen Shot 2021-12-23 at 22.27.02.png

First coat of paint:

Screen Shot 2021-12-23 at 22.26.50.png

A couple more pictures of the final look:

IMG_1210.JPG

IMG_1209.JPG

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Bedroom feature wall

Absolutely inspiring @kellyyang ! Very classy.

In that photo set, you've converted a plain bedroom wall into a home magazine quality show-piece.

Now I want one.

Chloe-Emma
Just Starting Out

Hi @kellyyang,

I’m looking to use this colour in my study as it looks amazing on your wall and exactly the colour we are going for. Picked up the sample colour card today and it’s no where near what your picture shows. Should I just trust your wall and buy a sample pot or should I keep looking as the colour card looks almost black on my wall. Thank you!

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Chloe-Emma. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about this fabulous project.

Does the colour card look almost black under lights or the sun as well? It should be a distinctive green/blue colour, as pictured below. There will be a variance between the digital version and the physical card, but you can see how the digital version reflects the paint used in this project. I would only imagine this colour could look blackish under insufficient lighting, as seen in the shadows of @kellyyang's last picture. Even then, I wouldn't have thought it would appear black. Could you post an image of the colour card under normal lighting and then one with it against your wall?

Ultimately a sample pot is going to be the best way to check. Paint some of the colour on a sheet of cardboard and hold it against your wall. You'll then be able to see a true reflection of how the colour will appear when painted on the wall.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects