Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Bedroom makeover with upcycled furniture

Shaira
Building a Reputation

Bedroom makeover with upcycled furniture

it was that time of the year I wanted to make some changes into my daughter’s room.

My five year old daughter and I sat down to make some important decisions about the room makeover.

I could see the excitement and anticipation in her eyes. First thing first so I asked her what is her colour preference. Yes you guessed it right pink was her answer. 

“oh no not too much pink” my mind whispered. I got a great idea. Still keeping pink as the predominant colour I wanted to incorporate white and grey as well so it would not look too pink even though my daughter loves all things pink. 

that evening I went to Bunnings. I chose the paint for the wall colour, a lovely grey which was called  Dulux’ s winter mushroom. 

out of all  pink paint pallets my daughter pointed at British paints’ paperback’. So I got 2  litre of that particular colour paint and for the preparation I got a white paint too.

Once I finalised on the paints I headed to the door knob section where I was able to get some elegant white knobs which I thought would be perfect for all the pink furniture that ism going to work on.

That night, I looked for a suitable set of furniture that could go into my daughter’s room. I love up-cycled furniture So I wanted to   Upcycle a chest of drawers, a bedside, and a study desk. I was able to find a suitable set in Facebook marketplace. Luckily it was at a decent radius so the following day my husband assisted me with transporting them home. 

now that I have collected all the needed resources I decided to empty the room and first get the walls ready by getting it painted. Once it’s been painted it looked so much better, fresh airy and bright.

the following day I decided to work on the furniture. First I started cleaning the furniture with a piece of cloth and soapy water. Once cleaned and dried I slowly removed all the handles and put them all aside safely in a box. Then I sanded back each piece of furniture and at the end I was too exhausted to keep working so winded up for the day.

it was the second day of working on the furniture projects. I started priming each piece with a white paint. After finishing each I set them aside to dry. Once they are ready for the second quote I did a gentle sanding and applied the second quote.

Once they are dried this is the fun part where I had been waiting all these time impatiently to see how the pink paint would look on each furniture. Once the pink furniture is dried i added the fresh white knobs and omg I was thrilled at seeing the transformation from how they looked earlier  and now after the colour wash.  Massive change and unbelievably gorgeous they looked now. 

Since  all the bits and pieces are pink, I decided to add a white bed and a white study chair. 

Now is the joyous moment of laying all the furniture in the room. I added a white sheer curtain and then I placed each furniture accordingly making sure it has got the right flow. 

i wanted to add some grey. So I got a nice print out of a grey and pink floral pattern and thus I added two of them on two different sizes. 

I wanted to keep the room minimalistic as I had to add all my daughter’s toys too on a corner. 

E98E4EF3-912A-4872-8220-27D6CDDEC1E9.jpeg

6F4018F1-70B5-495F-84C7-3EEF7778D08B.jpeg

DFB877E0-729F-46EE-BDE4-C10AEBA0C52D.jpeg

0F782590-23B8-41F7-BF63-4F5D611551B4.jpeg

BB4F0FF4-741B-4417-84B5-6A1E647591D5.jpeg

I loved creating this special space for my daughter hope you love it too . Let me know your thoughts how do you like the room ? 

How the room looked before.

8A9C89D7-2AE5-43DE-9C12-AD22E18EFA2D.jpeg

A5DDC0B3-650B-4497-B305-CE0CE0FCA744.jpeg

F284F8E4-1E01-48DE-BED5-F5061B0E2A53.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: My Daughter Loves All Things Pink 💗💗💗

Hello @Shaira

Thank you so much for sharing your daughter's room makeover. That pink colour really stands out, but it blends in so well with the Winter Mushroom. The sheets with the pink background and flowers on them really bring it all together. The single colour brings harmony to the room and makes it look very cheerful. Your paint upcycling with the cabinets look superb and the curtains look very nice. How long did it take to do all that painting? Are you planning on doing any of the other rooms in your house? If you have any other projects on the go, please don't hesitate to post them. 

Again, thank you for sharing this wonderful project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Shaira
Building a Reputation

Thank you so much Eric

By any chance would you be able to share this in your Facebook page and write an article coz I’m reading happy n believe this could help others too
It took about two weeks from planning to implementation 

Thank you so much 
StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Lovely transformation @Shaira.

Upcycling projects are popular on Bunnings Workshop and we love sharing fantastic projects like this one with our wider social media community so we'll add this to our collection of upcoming posts.

Thanks for sharing your project with us.

Stevie

Shaira
Building a Reputation

Very exciting and thank you very much. 

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

It looks very nice. :smile:

And the room is exceptionally tidy!

Can you tell me about the chair in the 'before' photo?

Looks like ours from Amart?

No good? Or just didn't suit the room?

20211210_173245.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Bedroom makeover with upcycled furniture

Hi @Noyade

Let me tag @Shaira so that they are made aware of your kind comments and question. Perhaps it was part of another set or maybe they used it in another room.

Eric

Shaira
Building a Reputation

Hi @Noyade 

thank you so much . For a change I just added a different chair I thought the new chair would complement the whole look of the area so that’s y I changed the chair nothing wrong with the previous one though 😊

Old-gal24
Becoming a Leader

Great work mum. 

Would love to know the name of the pink paint you used for upcycling the furniture in your daughters room please?  Looks awesome..

I bet she loves it..

This old gal

Shaira
Building a Reputation

@Old-gal24 

Hi thank you so much yes ofcourse my daughter loves her room now 🙂

the name of that pink is called “paperback” from British paints. You can get it from Bunnings 🙂

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects