Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can plywood walls be painted?

debralea5
Finding My Feet

Can plywood walls be painted?

20200419_111522.jpg

20200419_111533.jpg

  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can plywood walls be painted?

Welcome to the Workshop community @debralea5. I'd be more than happy to answer your question.

Let me start by saying what a unique property you have there. I have to admit I really like the timber panelling, but agree painting could give the areas a much more modern look.

You can paint plywood walls, but the question is more-so "Can you paint over a gloss timber coating". The answer is yes in both cases, though there is prep work to be done. You can follow this step by step D.I.Y tutorial which involves sanding the gloss layer of the coating off.

The other more time and labour efficient process is to use a primer that will stick to the gloss surface. For this, I would recommend Rust-oleum B.I.N Primer Sealer Stain Killer, as it is a shellac-based, works over or under any topcoat and sticks to glossy surfaces. You will need to use a oil-based topcoat to paint the walls after the priming coat.     

Please let me know if you require further information about the product, the process or have any other questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thankyou so much for your advice

Hi @debralea5.

It's my pleasure to assist in your project. You'll also see that we have plenty of creative and helpful community members on Workshop, they contribute their own projects and advice here every day. I'm sure together we will be able to guide you through the whole process.

We look forward to you starting this project and seeing the end results.

If you have any further questions or queries, please let me know.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Kermit
Amassing an Audience

I'd paint. You would still have the texture of the timber panels but it would really lighten the rooms. That hallway looks particularly dark. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects