Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Computer desk build

Nham
Becoming a Leader

Computer desk build

20210106_115353.jpegI thought I share my build for an affordable computer desk as most of us are now working from home. I needed an extended desk to fit into the study but couldn't find anything within my budget. My budget was under $150 for a 2-metre long desk. It's a straightforward build, and anyone can do it. It was my first desk that I have made. 

Measurements 

• Length 2000mm
  • Depth 500mm
  • Height 790mm

Materials from Bunnings

• untreated Pine 30 X 70 mm for the frame
  • Brackets for the legs
  • Wood screws
  • Worktop was 2200 x 600 x 26mm
  • Stain Linseed Oil (ikea)
  • Leftover white paint from Dulux (white on white)

Update: It has been six months, and the table is holding up well. I built another computer desk with my son for his room of similar size, and he loves it. 

20200911_154826.jpg20200912_082808.jpg20210106_115252.jpg20210106_115353.jpg

lhall
Getting Established

Re: Computer Desk

Thank you for replying. Very useful info

nagumuthu
Making a Splash

Re: Computer desk build

Hello @Nham,

Good work! Well done. At the right time when I was looking for building similar desk for our boys.

May you share information that assist further. Is the paint sprayed and which tools you used to cut the wood (for frame & legs of the table).

Nham
Becoming a Leader

Hi @nagumuthu 

For the paint,I just used a normal paint brush and applied 2-3 coats using Dulux, white on white. It was left over trim paint when we painted the house. For the frame, I got the Bunnings staff to cut everything to length, the staff are awesome and happy to help out.  If I had to modified any lengths on the frame, I used a old jigsaw. For the table top, I used a AEG circular saw (https://www.bunnings.com.au/aeg-1200w-184mm-circular-saw_p0088698) with a 40T circular saw blade. To cut it in a straight line, I used a wooden guide. You may have more experience than me, but I took it slow and was very careful using the circular saw. I did a smaller desk for my youngest son "Student desk with a Spotted Gum top" which shows you how to build the frame. For the table cabling, if you have a PC, I went to ikea and bought the https://www.ikea.com/au/en/p/signum-cable-trunking-horizontal-silver-colour-10200254/. The best part was that, my son did the build with me and he enjoyed making his own desk. Good luck:-) 

need to use a guide 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Nham

Thank you so much for sharing that information about your desk build. I'm sure @nagumuthu will appreciate the steps and materials you mentioned in your project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Linlin
Cultivating a Following

Looks amazing! Thanks so much for sharing the details.

I want to try and build my own desk, so this is super helpful!

Hello Nham,

Thanks for your reply.

Good to know that it's your son favourite project. Wonderful hands on work that motivates him for more wood work.

I'm inspired by your son's work to work on this project with a Stone Top above wood.  Let me project the cost and see whether it suits by budget.

Thanks

MM

Hi @Nham 

I'm just revisiting your great computer desk. I want to revamp my sewing room and was thinking of using your design to build a long table to put all my sewing machines on. You built yours at 2mts long but I want to do mine a little longer at 2.2mts. My machines aren't that heavy and they will be evenly spaced along the table, do you think I need to put a couple of bracing  pieces along the length under the top piece?

and I can't seem to find your post with the instructions on how to build the frame. Could you point to these?

Regards @rubytuesday1953 

Hi @rubytuesday1953,

At 2200mm I would probably insert two braces to support your table top. This is my post with most of the instructions and the timber top I use was a specRite panel. There is a longer piece at 2200mm, the merbau panel from the same company. Good luck with your sewing table, would love to see how it turns out. 

Stay well. 

Nham

Thanks @Nham for the reply. I found the instructions with your son's desk.

I ended up getting the Interbuilt Acacia Golden Teak panel for $99. No Rubberwood, as that was a promotional item.

Couldn't get the same framing timber as Covid's depleted a lot of things, apparently. Ended up with treated pine 70mm x 35mm (just have to make some minor adjustments to the measurements) but they should get the job done. Will have to wear a mask when cutting and sanding though. (what's new)

Regards

@rubytuesday1953 

Mrtimber1948
Getting Established

Good looking project 

Done well. 🙂🙂

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects