Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

DIY console/hall table

loggie
Having an Impact

DIY console/hall table

Hello,

Just sharing a project I did over the weekend. It can be easily adjusted to suit whatever space you are looking at.

The utility panel I used for this piece is 1200x300.

20210415_152424.jpg

20210415_152408.jpg

20210415_152336.jpg

  

Some build photos

20210329_182653.jpg

20210329_182659.jpg

20210329_171449.jpg

20210329_142828.jpg

20210329_142814.jpg

🙂

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: DIY console/hall table

That is super cool, @loggie! I absolutely love the work you've put into the legs, as it really makes this table shine. However, I'd likely give myself a headache trying to work out the angles needed. Where do you even start to work out the angle of cut and approach for the leg supports? I'd be able to estimate the angle I needed where the support meets the leg, but how do you work out the other angle that meets the top or base? I suspect if I paid more attention to high school maths, this would be a relatively simple equation to work out.

Many thanks for sharing this truly unique console table, as I trust it will bring many of our members some fantastic inspiration. Well done.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for your kind words @MitchellMc 

The base is quite straightforward once you break it down. Because I wanted the width of the base to match the width of the utility panel, I went with a 15 degree cut at the bottom. the top would then be 75 degrees (subtract the bottom cut angle from 90 degrees, so in this case 90-15). I did a mockup in Adobe Illustrator to identify the lengths of the cut based on the dimensions I needed it to be.

I'm guessing it would be easier to do it if I use a 3D modelling tool instead of Illustrator. Do you have any suggestions on something easy to learn?

I just realised the image was slightly inaccurate. I removed it for now - will update shortly

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Thanks for the simple explanation, @loggie. That clears things up.

It looks like you've done a fine job in illustrator. Does it work the angles out for you? Sometimes it's best to use the simplest program that completes the job. Personally, I use Tinkercad, which is one of the most basic 3D design tools. Unfortunately, I do not believe it has the ability to work out corresponding angles. I've only recently learned through doing some online tutorials that it is a program built for elementary students to design and export projects to a 3D filament printer. @redracer01 might be able to tell us if SketchUp would be beneficial for this type of work. 

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @@loggie 

That's an excellent piece of woodwork.  As a diy furniture enthusiast I appreciate the effort and styling that went in to this build. It's sure to inspire our readers. Thank you for sharing your diy journey with us. We look forward to your future projects!

Cheers,

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

thanks @MitchellMc  and @redracer01  will check out tinkercad and sketchup. looks very cool.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects