Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

DIY shelves & feature wall

prettyliving
Amassing an Audience

DIY shelves & feature wall

A little project I did with my daughter this week.. she asked for a pink wall in her room so we went to Bunnings and she picked the colour “Heartfelt” by Taubmans. 

I also made up a new shelf for her framed artwork etc, using timber skirting boards (1x colonial and 1x bullnose). 
I basically just screwed them together and then attached it to the wall. I used the colonial piece for the bottom piece against the wall as it has nice detail, with the bullnose piece on top as the shelf, with the back of it face up - the “cutout”on the back of it works really well for keeping picture frames in place. 
Originally I was going to prime and paint it white but I ended up loving the raw timber look so we left it. 
Overall it was a very cheap & easy makeover. My daughter gave it the thumbs up. 😉👍🏻

91C4B095-3556-496D-AC55-B352BA146214.jpeg

667CCA95-FB4B-48FD-AAE1-AFAE12F1057A.jpeg

FF81F778-5F8D-4D88-9783-2A355537F5F7.jpeg

A0D28E87-4527-44BA-A35A-BFEFB4D27E5E.jpeg

06EC0048-82BF-46E7-8DE1-10C0E5BF8085.jpeg

46F187AF-4547-43E3-9534-A749E55990BD.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: DIY Shelves & Feature Wall

Hi @prettyliving,

Many thanks for sharing your project and for also providing the additional images with the parts you used. Your daughter looks very impressed with her new feature wall. I also trust our members will take great inspiration from this simple project and no doubt will re-create it themselves.

We look forward to hearing what other plans you have in the works and can't wait for you to share them with us.

'

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: DIY Shelves & Feature Wall

@MitchellMc thank you 😊

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: DIY shelves & feature wall

That's brilliant. The shelf plus the intense colour contrast make it into a real feature, beyond just a painted wall named "feature wall".

Old-gal24
Becoming a Leader

Re: DIY shelves & feature wall

Skirting boards can come in handy for lots of jobs, looking so good, just like the lovely job you have done on your daughters wall.  They are make a job so simple and user friendly.  I love bull nose skirting @prettyliving I've used it lots over the years, in my last home I used it to re-do all of my window sills in a house over 80 years old, after adding winders on the push out windows, nothing was straight, so it was a very fiddly task.

Great to see others using it for random jobs with such effectiveness. Love the shelf.

This oldgal.

T

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects