Hey everyone, thought I’d share a Kmart dollhouse I recently gave a makeover.
I’ve attached some before & after pics as well as some pics & a run down of the process.
I started by staining all the wood trim & detail. I like to experiment with colours so I made my own stain by adding a drop of oil based black and red enamel paint to clear varnish.
To give the deck some character, I used a blade and ruler to carve lines into the wood. Once I applied the stain, the lines appeared darker giving it that “decking” look.
I painted all the window frames using the shade “Norway Spruce” by British Paints.
For the roof I made tiles using 1.5mm balsa wood that I cut into small strips.
I glued them onto the roof using Selleys Liquid nail (as I had heaps of it left from a previous project), I started from the bottom and worked my way up, cutting them to size as needed.
I later painted the roof in the shade “Safari Suit” by Taubmans.
I made the planter boxes by cutting pieces of the balsa wood to size and glueing together using the liquid nail. I then sanded & painted them to match the window seals and glued them on.
I cut up a bunch of artificial flowers I purchased from Bunnings and then glued them into the planter boxes.
I cut up some thin strips of balsa wood and glued to the front door to add some detail. I then varnish the door using clear varnish, and painted a house number on the door using a toothpick and silver enamel paint.
And lastly I made a little door mat from some scrap jute fabric I had.
Next I will be giving the interior a makeover. ✨
Thank you @Noyade
I’ve attached a pic of what it looked like before. There’s no shed on this one but I’m working on another dollhouse at the moment that has a garage/shed. 😊
Thanks for the photo! 😁
Your improvements certainly make a difference!