Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Entertainment unit upcycle ideas wanted

allirae
Getting Established

Entertainment unit upcycle ideas wanted

72F61BCC-B03F-4E3F-A235-CADAF465A6B3.jpeg

Hi, I want to make this look nicer, has anyone worked on anything similar or do you have any suggestions. Thanks 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Entertainment unit upcycle ideas wanted

Hi @allirae,

If you were to sand the yellowing coating off and replace it with a Cabot's 250ml Clear Water Based Cabothane Interior Varnish Matt, you'd see an immediate improvement. A clear matt varnish is much more on-trend at the moment. The rounded edges are also heavily dating the unit, so you might also be able to do something about them. Or, you could work with them. If you sanded the current coating off, you could then glue half-round moulding on the sides of the unit. They should complement the rounded edges of the boards. I'd then stick on trend and see what a Duratile 30 x 60cm Terrazzo Bianco Porcelain Floor Tile looks like placed on top. If the timber was then painted white, it all might just come together nicely. Some nice hairpin legs might make it appear more elegant and complete the look.

Let me mention our clever members @sandy_d@rubytuesday1953, @theparlourroom, @craftyhopper, @Cooney09, @diycollection and @Nham, that have refurbished some similar items. They might have some great ideas for you.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
theparlourroom
Having an Impact

This would look great if it was stripped, and the wood bleached. Adding doors would also make it more practical and streamlined. I love the idea of adding half dowels or paneling on the sides. And I’m always a fan of black paint and a dark stain like walnut. Keen to see what you decide to do. Have fun with the process!

Hello @allirae

Thank you for sharing your upcycle project. It's great that you've received fantastic suggestions from @theparlourroom. I'm a fan of the bleached finish as well. However, I think it all depends on where this piece is going to go or are you planning to sell it? I suggest matching the finish of the surrounding furniture if it is staying in the house. But if you are selling it any idea can be applied to it.

Adding doors is certainly one way to change the look of the cabinet. I suggest a square frame with a weaved material stapled in the centre. I also recommend hemp or burlap type fabrics to give it an organic finish. The doors will stand out and give the cabinet character.

Let me call on our experienced members @prettyliving, @craftyhopper, and @lifestylebymari for their recommendations. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
rubytuesday1953
Having an Impact

Hi @allirae 

I love doing up old wooden furniture. This is one of the units I did (the pre photo is not the actual unit but very similar - I forgot to do a pre)

I strip everything back and start from scratch. I always try to replace all the hinges and handles if I can

Not a great fan of acyrlic paint. After applying a coat of (usually) enamel undercoat/sealer/primer

I always use 2 coats of semi-gloss oil based enamel as a topcoat (lightly sanding between each coat

It's a  PITA to use enamel but it gives such a nice smooth durable finish.

The top I did with 4 coats of Bondall Monocel clear oil based wood varnish in Satin

Wooden TV cabinet 17.3.19.jpg

20190303_192306.jpg20190316_160625.jpg20190317_141900.jpg

Looks absolutely fantastic Ruby! :smile:

The paint looks great.

I've only ever used Porters Chalk - with mixed results. I wouldn't use it again.

Hi @Noyade,

I did this cabinet about 3 yrs ago and the paint has stood up well

So far the best paint I've used is Taubman's Tradex Semi-gloss enamel. Unfortunately it only comes in 4L tins in white (not sure about Black though) and it's not very expensive. Enamel's a bit tricky to store so I go to Bristol (bunnings don't have them) and get some empty 1L tins and pour the paint into each of them then put the lid on tight and store upside down. That way the paint doesn't get a skin on top or dry out

I find those 'fancy schamcy' expensive, crafty paints are crap.

The White Knight spray cans are great too, for small jobs and you can get it in 1L tins in most primary colours.

Here's another one I did for my bedroom about 2 yrs ago   using the same paint

Start.jpeg20200426_190704.jpg20200512_204006.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects