Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Floating desk - brick wall install

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Floating desk - brick wall install

Screenshot_20181106-153122_Instagram.jpgI recently installed the below floating desk for a customer of mine so I thought I'd share the process at a high level and the end result which we're all pretty happy with :smile:

First challenge - it's a 2880mm desk so it was important to get the right brackets and support in place. 

I got my kitchen guy to cut a length of laminate to size and I got to work on cutting channels in the underside of the desk to hide the brackets. Of course my sister hadn't returned my router and given she lives an hour away, I got to work with a chisel and a multitool. Bit of extra elbow grease required and not as clean finish as a router, but it did the job well enough.

20181009_092639.jpg 20181009_091303.jpg

Next it was time to measure up the walls of the study to install the angle brackets including cutting channels into the plaster on a brick wall to conceal the two large supporting brackets.

20181009_113706.jpg

To finish it all off I pop the desk on top, screw it to the brackets, plaster/sand/paint over the wall channels and finish the edges on top with white silicone. Unfortunately don't have a photo of the desk set up yet but will do soon. 

20181014_084541.jpg 20181021_115729.jpg Screenshot_20181106-153122_Instagram.jpg

Hope you like it :grin:

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Re: Floating desk - brick wall install

Looks like a very professional finish as always @ProjectPete. Well done.

Flawless work as always @ProjectPete!

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Tezzaa44
Just Starting Out

Love it going to use it as a craft table thanks

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for joining in the discussion @Tezzaa44. Great to see you've been inspired by @ProjectPete's post. Please don't hesitate to post whenever you need assistance with a project around the house or garden or ever have anything to share with the community. We're looking forward to reading more about your projects and plans and will be always happy to help.

Welcome,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
PChandog
Getting Established

I love @ProjectPete's work. I am planning to do something similar. I am definitely a newbie at this. I have a space that is 2820mm long. I want to get a benchtop that is 600mm wide and 38mm thick. I couldn't get a top that was 2820mm long, so I am intending to get the 1800mm ones and cut them down to 1400mm and then join them.

I feel like if I don't provide enough support, it may fall. I want to attach the brackets to the stud and then put the benchtops on top. I am not too worried about the brackets showing. Am I on the right track? Any advice would be appreciated. 

homehack
Finding My Feet

Hi @ProjectPete, love your job here. I'm planning something very similar but with a 600x3500mm long desk using either 30mm ply or two sheets of 18mm ply laminated together to give 36mm. 

My question is about the stability of the front edge of your desk, and was there any flex?

It looks like you used two angle brackets & two corner brackets but nothing extra to support the front edge sides?

Based on your experience of this desk how many brackets would you recommend for a 3500m long desk?

What size brackets would you recommend for a 600mm deep desk. Looks like yours extend about 2/3rds of the way across the desk.

Thanks

Thanks @homehack 

I'd use at least 3 angle brackets along the desk. They're 450-500mm brackets so yes, decent span across the depth of the desk.

Pop the corner brackets in and a bracket on each end.

Shouldn't have any dramas

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Workshop community @homehack.

It's great to see you get a prompt reply to your question. I trust you'll find loads of inspiration and helpful advice from our innovative community members. We would love to follow along with your project if you'd care to share it with us. 

Please let me know if you need any assistance getting the most out of the site or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for the quick reply @ProjectPete

Anybody out there recommend a good brand of glue to laminate two sheets of ply together?

HH

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects