Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Help needed with repairing Bentwood chairs

PeterAdams
Getting Established

Help needed with repairing Bentwood chairs

LOOKING FOR ADVICE,

I have 12 bentwood dining 'Cafe chairs' to repair.  I am trying to locate a supplier of round plywood replacement seats. These could be either with a pressed pattern, or pierced with holes. You advice wold be appreciated.Bentwood seats_5048.jpgBentwood seats_5051.jpg

Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

Re: BENYWOOD CHAIR SEATS

Hey @PeterAdams , welcome to the Bunnings workshop community. It's great to have you here. 

Just in regards to a supplier, do you mind letting us know where you are based? Members might have an easier time suggesting a local buyer if they're in a similar area. :smile: 

Remarka6le
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Help needed with repairing Bentwood chairs

Hello @PeterAdams

Have you considered using Feast Watson 1L Woodclean? It's a powerful, oxalic acid-based preparation treatment that aids the removal of oils, mould, stains and tannins from new and weathered timber. Ideal for rejuvenating grey, weathered timber. If the seats are still in reasonable condition perhaps it's worth the effort of restoring them.

I suggest using a soft bristle brush to prevent damaging the pressed pattern on the wood. I don't recommend sanding it as it will make the pressed pattern even more difficult to see. Please make sure to wear safety goggles a dust mask and gloves when using the Feast Watson Woodclean. I also recommend having a quick look at this discussion - How to restore salvaged wicker/cane/bamboo/rattan furniture? by @ME_1

If parts of the seat are starting to splinter away, I suggest glueing them together with Selleys 250mL Aquadhere PVA Wood Glue Exterior Adhesive and clamping them with Craftright 300mm 2 Piece Quick Action Clamp. If you feel that the seat itself is getting soft you can also spray it with Earl's 250ml Wood Hardener to restore the strength of the wood. 

Let me call on our experienced members @Adam_W and @TheRenoDad for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: BENYWOOD CHAIR SEATS

I am located in Katoomba, Blue Mountains, NSW

I make Windsor Chairs and restore antique furniture.

Regards

PeterWINDSOR-CHAIR-3915 2.jpg

PeterAdams
Getting Established

Hi Eric,

I am an extensive user of Feast Watson products

Peter

Hi @PeterAdams,

Have you considered creating a jig and cutting these out yourself? You could rough cut them with a jigsaw and then tidy them up with a router table and jig. That would give you plenty of flexibility when it comes to the size and thickness of the seats.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
PeterAdams
Getting Established

Thank you. Yes this is the way I will do it.  I was hoping they were still being produced, (20 years ago they were still available)

Regards

Peter

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects