Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I make a Murphy bed?

Trish8
Just Starting Out

How do I make a Murphy bed?

I would like to make a Murphy Bed.

King Single mattress is

203 cm x 105.5 cm.

BHG magazine = "Flat-Pack wall bed unit. Where do I get this from? 

Don't wat it to cost thousands!

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How do I make a Murphy bed?

Hi @Trish8,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We are pleased to have you join us and look forward to seeing you build your new bed. 

I see you have seen this previous discussion. Have you had a look at the plans that @Brad shared? 

Let me tag @EricL and @JDE to add their thoughts on next steps. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I make a Murphy bed?

Hello @Trish8

Thank you so much for sharing your desire to build a Murphy bed.

Building a Murphy bed is a great way to give a room multiple uses and maximize the space available. I've had a look at the BHG magazine plans and it is very confusing and lacking a great deal of detail on how to assemble the bed. I understand that you don't want to spend a great deal of money on this project. However, spending money on a good plan is a great way to save money. 

I recommend having a look at the discussion my colleague pointed to, you will see the plans that @Brad shared. There are many elements to consider if you are building this bed from scratch. They will range from the weight of the materials, the way it is constructed, where it will be anchored, and the type of Murphy bed hardware to hold the bed in place. I suggest engaging the services of a furniture builder to get a better idea of what might be involved in building this project. Please keep us updated.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects