Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add auto close on big wardrobe doors?

Alfandari
Getting Established

How to add auto close on big wardrobe doors?

We have big 70s built wooden wardrobes, floor to ceiling that I love, except they have push to close mechanisms that don't work on half the doors anymore. Bunnings don't seem to have a good replacement for push to close and my hubby keeps leaving the doors open so I'm wondering if another solution is the auto close hinges? Are they strong enough for 2+ meter doors and what type would I need? Would I need to dismantle existing hinges and close mechanism?

On a side note, would love to either paint the door or sand back the hideous green to reveal wood. Any recommendations for that?

IMG_20230105_184341.jpg

IMG_20230106_122406.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Auto close on big wardrobe doors

Hello @Alfandari 

Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the inside of the door so that we can see how many hinges are attached to the door? Can you also please take a photo of the old push to open mechanism? This will give our members a chance to assess the current fittings. We can then make recommendations on how your door hinges can be upgraded.

In regards to the colour, I suspect you have a plastic laminated door. One way to find out is to sand the surface of the door. I suggest doing it on the inside of the door where it will be out of sight. A timber veneer door will give you timber sanding dust. A laminated door will give you plastic sanding dust. 

If it is a laminated door, I suggest having a look at the Dulux Renovation Range. It is specifically designed to go onto laminated surfaces. However, if it is a timber veneer, it will still have the properties of wood and standard painting practices will apply. Generally, the surface will need to be sanded and a primer and topcoat applied.  

Here are some amazing painted laminated kitchen projects our Workshop members have shared: 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Alfandari
Getting Established

Re: Auto close on big wardrobe doors

Hi Eric, no they're wooden doors that have been badly painted over with green. The entrance robe has the original wooden colour. 3 hinges on each door. Some pics attached.

IMG_20231110_174800.jpgIMG_20231110_174945.jpgIMG_20231110_174955.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to add auto close on big wardrobe doors?

Perhaps you might like to upgrade the hardware to Kaboodle Push To Open Door Hinges @Alfandari. For the auto-close hinges, three per door would likely be enough to close them securely. The only issue would be that your current hinges are rebated into the door. You would need to disassemble the current hinges and probably the push-to-close mechanism.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects