Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to close a gap between bookshelves?

Anna94
Just Starting Out

How to close a gap between bookshelves?

IMG_4490.jpeg

 hi, I’m looking to close the gap between my vertical and horizontal bookshelves to give it a floor to ceiling look. Any idea how I can do that?? 

Tyro
Becoming a Leader

Re: How to close a gap between bookshelves?

Hi Anna94

It's difficult to see how big the gaps are, but have you considered putting some decorative tiles across the gaps.  Or decorative timber moulding?  Or even plasterboard?  

Bomber25
Cultivating a Following

I would insert either a few MDF or Plywood panels which will paint up nicely and blend in. You can take a small piece of your cabinetry into Bunnings and have the colour matched by a scanning device in the paint department. Also if you have the measurements of the gaps and know what thickness you want, Bunnings can cut the wood down to your desired lengths. Good luck!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Anna94. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about closing a gap on a timber bookshelf.

It's great to see that you've already received helpful replies from @Tyro and @Bomber25.   

If you are referencing the gap I've identified in the image below, then it sounds like @Bomber25's advice on cutting some MDF panels to the same width as the gap would be the best way to fill them. However, I do like @Tyro's idea of making a feature of the gaps and using tiles.

Small angle brackets can be fitted around the perimeter of the gaps and recessed the thickness of your MDF in from the bookshelf's front edges. This will give you something to push the MDF panel against and make sure they finish flush to the front edge of the bookshelf.

You'll need to take some careful measurements to ensure your filler pieces fit snuggly. You can then use a paintable gap filler to fill any small gaps.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

gap.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects