Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to convert ottoman bed lid to fold and become headboard?

Nellstar
Building a Reputation

How to convert ottoman bed lid to fold and become headboard?

Hi , I've recently bought a single fold out bed ottoman. I am planning on upholstering it and in the process want to convert the single top to a folding half top to make it have a headboard when the bed is out.

Basically I need to remove the fabric and foam , cut the wood top in half and add a few hinges before adding cut foam back on and upholstering. (See drawings).

Does anyone have any suggestions to how heavy duty the hinges , is 100mm overkill? (or how many needed) as it could be sat on while closed.

Would I need to add a sliver of wood under the hinge screws to secure it more?

16368698063427792576308716733780.jpg

20211114_101633.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: converting ottoman bed lid to fold and become headboard

I've been having a look at those angles @Nellstar. My only concern is that the panel might contact the bed frame. If it does, could you remove the struts? Are they needed as the top is very heavy? If you could remove them, the panel attached to the bottom could be lent slightly back to clear the bed frame. Obviously, the bottom ottoman would need to be spaced somewhat out from the wall.

Here's some rendering I've created to have a look at the issue.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nellstar
Building a Reputation

Yes I can definately unscrew the gas struts from the base of the ottoman and move them to give more angle to the lid, this could also solve some of the issue of the lid sitting on the struts when open ...thanks for the tip!

Hi @Nellstar,

Love the project you're tackling. Having had a look through the comments I would also go with removing the gas struts to enable the folding mechanism to function without connecting with the bed, or having to rest on the struts themselves.

@MitchellMc's drawings are an excellent resource, the only thing I can add is I would consider adding a fastener to secure the headboard in the folded position to stop it from unfolding of its own volition.

Best of luck,

Tom

Nellstar
Building a Reputation

Re: How to convert ottoman bed lid to fold and become headboard?

UPDATE: FINISHED!

I did come across the issue stated by @MitchellMc with the folded headboard hitting the bed frame, but since it doesn't impact the length of the bed much im going to add moving the bottom of the gas struts to a later project when I reupholster the bottom half.

I have found with the reduced weight of the lid (now its cut in half) makes the gas struts harder to push down (but not impossible), but will also add this fix to a later project(adding lid handle or securing hinged halves together).

20211223_122754.jpg

20211223_135603.jpg

20211223_150533.jpg

20211223_150508.jpg

16402337161705191170857188638248.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Nellstar

Wow! What an amazing upgrade to your ottoman. It looks so professionally done, your upholstery skills are top-notch. If I had not seen it in its single configuration, I would have assumed that it always came with a split-folding lid. This is now a much comfier ottoman/pull-out bed as you now have a headboard. Will you be covering the bottom part in the same coloured fabric? Now that you've finished your project, was there anything you would have done differently in hindsight? What would be your number one tip for those members thinking of replicating your efforts?

Thank you so much for sharing your ottoman upgrade, we look forward to seeing your next project. 

Eric

Nellstar
Building a Reputation

@EricL ...yes I will be upholstering the base in the same fabric to match.  I am pretty happy with the final product, if I had more patience I might have added button tufting to the top. I will probably need to shift the gas lifts so that the fold top doesn't sit on the bed frame but other than that I wouldn't change a thing.

Nellstar
Building a Reputation

Finished product with sanded legs and matching base!

20211225_084417.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Fantastic work, @Nellstar. I absolutely love it!

Well done.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects