Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to cut 3mm MDF board?

nagumuthu
Making a Splash

How to cut 3mm MDF board?

Hello Members

I have to cut a rectangular opening on 3mm MDF board for exposing the power points behind it for usage.

Can you please recommend tools for cutting such a thick board.  Probably on knife, need to repeat few scores for the detachment. Looking for any other tools to do the job.  Not sure circular saws will leave the cut with imperfection for aesthitic appearance.

Thanks

MM

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Cutting 3mm MDF board

Hi @nagumuthu,

I'd recommend using a jigsaw as it's the perfect tool for intricate cuts like this. I'd also suggest fitting it with a fine-tooth blade which will give you some very clean and precise cuts.

You'll need to drill a hole large enough to accept the blade when beginning the cut.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

If cables are out of the way a router can work very effectively. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @MuleBarn

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining the discussion.

Let me tag @nagumuthu to make them aware of your suggestion. Using a router would definitely give you a very tidy edge. It also lessens the possibility of edge tearing and getting a jagged finish on the ends. To make it even tidier you can build a makeshift guide to give you the perfect rectangular cut. 

Thank you for sharing your recommendation for cutting 3mm MDF.

Eric

Hello Eric,

Thanks for your recommendation.

May you please brief on 'makeshift guide'. I googled and could not find any clues on it.

Thanks

MM

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @nagumuthu

The make-shift guide is actually just four pieces of timber joined together with screws and arranged in a rectangular fashion to guide the router while you are cutting the hole. I've placed an image below to give you an idea of how it is done. The timber frame is kept in place by clamping it onto the MDF board.

Please note that the timber guide needs to be adjusted to the size of the hole you'll be cutting.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

nagumuthu router frame1.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to cut 3mm MDF board?

Good afternoon @nagumuthu 

"Probably on knife, need to repeat few scores for the detachment."

Yes, it can be done - does the cut have to 'pretty?'

Is this so that a powerpoint can be utilised when something like a bookshelf backing is blocking access?

20220712_123623.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Noyade

Thank you for that suggestion! Let me tag @nagumuthu to make sure they see this excellent recommendation. If they are only cutting one or two access points this is one of the best ways to achieve a perfect cut.

Eric

Hello @Noyade 

Thanks for the recommendation. Yes it is. It's for exposing power and internet points that reside behind the 3mm MDF board at the back of the cabinet.

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @nagumuthu 

How did you get on?

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects