Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to ensure door closes with this clothes hanger?

algenebautista
Growing in Experience

How to ensure door closes with this clothes hanger?

Hello,

Please help. The door won’t close with the clothes hanger. Any suggestions how to fix it?

I know it’s easier to drill wall mates but that would be the last option since I prefer not to create more holes in the house.

Do I need to shave the top part of the door with a chisel?

Thank you heaps.

F1994050-C859-4051-8205-99041D0DAA3E.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to ensure door closes with this clothes hanger?

Hello @algenebautista 

In order for the hanger to sit correctly on the door, you either trim the top of the door with a circular saw to create a small gap or cut two channels with a chisel for the hooks to sit into.

Unfortunately, there are not a lot of choices when it comes to this type of hanger. If you continue to use this without making the channels in your door it will damage the door and the top of the door frame.

If you don't have a circular saw, I suggest posting the job on Airtasker or Hipages. I recommend explaining thoroughly what you want done so that you can get an immediate response.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Bomber25
Cultivating a Following

Depending on how much clearance you need you could try hand sanding this back, or as I did recently use a powered planer to take off a few millimetres with each pass. Good luck!

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

There should be a strip of hardwood surrounding the hollow door?

Cut the hooks off - drill/countersink screws into each arm. Only two small holes @algenebautista 😊

Scan1350.jpg

algenebautista
Growing in Experience

Instead of circular saw can I use a simple chisel to just shave off few mils of the top of the door?

I haven’t seen a powered planer before sorry I’m not a DIY guy hope you don’t mind sharing a photo pls

Thank you for the suggestion but drilling holes are my last option 

Hello @algenebautista 

One other option is to use a Multi Tool, this tool will allow you to cut a channel in the door with relative ease. 

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Afternoon! @algenebautista 

"Thank you for the suggestion but drilling holes are my last option"

Okay. 👍

But should you decide against chiselling or sawing - I can show you how I installed this Bunnings hook on the back of a hollow door. There is exceptionally good anchoring hardware out there now.

Cheers!

20230609_180641 (1).jpg

Yes please could you show me how you installed it if you don't mind? What type of anchoring hardware are you referring to?

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects