Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fill holes in plasterboard wall?

newuser
Finding My Feet

How to fill holes in plasterboard wall?

Hi All,

I'm new to this community and absolutely new to the idea of DIYing to fix the problems around the house. 

I've this issue where the old anchor & screw that held the curtain rod came off and I'm left with a big hole in the drywall.

I need to fill up this hole so that I can add the anchor and screw in the curtain rod preferably back at the same position.

Attached is the image showing the hole in the wall.

Any ideas and suggestions on how to address the situation is highly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Regards.

Wall.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Need to cover up a hole in the dry wall to add an anchor for screwing in curtain rod

Hello @newuser 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. it's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about repairing holes in your plasterboard wall.

Generally, I would recommend using Parfix 500g Ready To Use Multipurpose Filler to fill in the holes in the wall. However, this situation is a bit different as the repair spot will be carrying weight. 

I recommend trying this repair method.

• Draw a medium sized rectangle around both holes with a pencil.

• Cut the rectangle out of the plasterboard wall.

• Insert a piece of timber inside the wall and use two screws to secure it in place.

• Cut a rectangular repair piece as big as the hole you've cut.

• Put some liquid nails behind the repair piece and push it onto the timber piece and allow to dry.

Once you've covered the rectangular hole, I suggest filling in the cut edge with the multipurpose filler. Allow it to cure before you begin sanding it down. Once it's nice and flat, wipe the surface clean and you can begin painting the repair spot.

The advantage of this type of repair is that you can screw directly into the repair spot as the curtain rod end will be anchored into the timber piece behind the wall. 

I've sketched up basic steps to give you an idea how to do the repairs.   

I also suggest having a look at this discussion - How to repair plasterboard damage? by @lavanya

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Need to cover up a hole in the dry wall to add an anchor for screwing in curtain rod

Thank you so much for your reply. Will try this method out.

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Scan1411.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Keep us updated @newuser and please reach out if you get stuck or have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects