Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix broken metal piece?

jyoraniga
Just Starting Out

How to fix broken metal piece?

Please suggest how to fix the broken mental piece 

0798DAE6-1092-4160-9D53-4C6E439FDD5F.jpeg

CD4785AD-16AC-4DB5-A6E6-E1B374659A19.jpeg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: best glue or welding

Good morning! @jyoraniga 😁

For me - I would be going down the welding path. It looks like the upright unscrews to reveal that 'mobile' insert? Hard to tell with the blue-tack(?)

I do see spot welds in your photos, so it's doable. Do you or anyone you know weld?

My little inverter would be set at a low amperage (~70 amps) with a 2mm rod. Just enough for a small spot weld.

Tap any slag off and clean the weld with a wire brush.

And you would need to repaint the area with a similar gold colour.

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to fix broken metal piece?

Hello @jyoraniga,

A warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community! We're delighted to have you join us. As you can probably tell, this is a friendly and helpful community where our members ask questions, share ideas and offer advice related to all things D.I.Y., including improving their home and garden. 

Sorry to hear about your broken metal ornament. Great to see you've received advice from Noyade. Our resident D.I.Y. expert @EricL will also be happy to assist you when he's back online later today.

Welcome once again.

Akanksha 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @jyoraniga

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Noyade. Just to add to the suggestions made, I recommend having a look at PC Products 57g PC Metal Epoxy Putty. Looking at the photo you posted it seems an attempt was made to repair it using a similar product. This product that I've suggested is specifically made to repair steel. Please note that it has a very short handling time, it's important that the parts are ready to be joined together as soon as you remove the putty from the container. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Good morning @jyoraniga 

How did you get on with this? Did you try the 'metal' glue that @EricL recommended?

It looks like a very interesting product.

I was gonna buy/try it on an oven wall mount where the manufacturer's spot weld failed - but I wasn't sure if it would withstand high oven temperatures?

In the end - arc welder, 60 amps and 2.5mm rod.

20230205_094619.jpg

jyoraniga
Just Starting Out

please suggest for welder

Hello all 

can some one suggest a welding place I can take my metal candle holder for fixing 

AE3B72FF-A6A7-42BC-A4DD-E9BCEFEAAD8E.jpeg

E2DC0548-6DC2-4367-AA39-55F2E6A6C38E.jpeg

Re: please suggest for welder

Hi @jyoraniga,

Given the Bunnings Workshop community is an Australia and New Zealand-wide forum, it would be difficult for our members to suggest a welding business in your location. You might like to look towards services like Hipages and Air-Tasker to locate someone in your area that could complete this work.

Mitchell

Re: please suggest for welder

Morning @jyoraniga 

I think you should try the metal glue @EricL mentioned. It's worth a go and inexpensive.

I for one would love to see if it works and your feedback would be greatly appreciated. 👍

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects