Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix ceiling stained by mice urine?

Jill1919
Finding My Feet

How to fix ceiling stained by mice urine?

Hi Team, 

There were some mice in the roof and mice urine polluted my ceiling, pest control people have caught the mice and did some clean up from the other side, however the ceiling still has stain and has a bad smell. I wonder what can I do to fix this? Thx a lot!

ceiling.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to fix ceiling stained by mice urine?

Hi @Jill1919,

Let me tag some helpful members for their thoughts on how to treat and repaint the ceiling: @Marty_greenshed@Simon and @EricL.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix ceiling stained by mice urine?

Hello @Jill1919 

I'm glad you've managed to get rid of the mice in your ceiling cavity. Researchers have discovered that mice seem to be addicted to the scent of urine and repeatedly go back to spots where they found the excretions. If left untreated this urine spot will call out to other mice. I therefore suggest cutting out the contaminated piece with a Craftright 3 In 1 Multi Saw Set.

I recommend patching the cut-out area with a Gyprock CSR 530 x 530 x 10mm Mini Plaster Repair Panel.

I also suggest having a look at these discussions - How to resize and cut a hole in plasterboard for ceiling fans? by @Razor20 and How to patch holes in ceiling? by @tiffany201 and How to patch holes in wall and celling? by @Shotime. These discussions will give you very good ideas of how to repair and patch your ceiling.

However, should you decide to just paint over it, I suggest using Zinsser 946ml B-I-N Primer Sealer Stain Killer. It has an odour blocking feature integrated into its mix.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects