Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to patch holes in wall and celling?

Shotime
Growing in Experience

How to patch holes in wall and celling?

Hello, need some help with patching holes in the wall & ceiling.

Noting that the hole is very close to the frame.

372298748_2057836931223138_1835452660884880883_n.jpg

Thanks!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Patching wall & celling

Hi @Shotime,

Unlike a smaller hole in the plaster, this repair will take some skill. Basically, you need to cut back the jagged area and form a rectangular or square cutout with neat edges. It doesn't matter if you expose the timber studs. You need to then pick up a Gyprock CSR 1200 x 900 x 10mm Plasterboard Repair Panel RE, Selleys 180g Spakfilla Rapid Gap Filler, scraper, sandpaper, joint tape and Liquid Nails

Cut sections of the repair plaster panel to match the cutouts you've created on the wall. Next, take some scrap pieces of timber or the plaster repair panel and glue them with the Liquid Nails to the back side of the plaster sheet around the hole. Allow the glue to dry. These pieces allow you to insert your repair pieces into the wall and stop them from falling inside the cavity. If you've exposed a wall stud, there's no need to glue a support piece there, as the stud will act as one. Apply a small amount of Liquid Nails to each support piece and insert your repair panels. Push them in enough so they finish flush with the surrounding plaster sheet. Allow the glue to dry.

After the repair pieces are in place and the glue has dried, apply joint tape to the seams and apply the Spakfilla with the scraper to fill around the edges. Once the filler has dried, use the sandpaper to smooth the area. It might take three applications of filler to get a smooth transition. You can then prime and paint the area.

I'll include a helpful video below to illustrate this method.

Remember your PPE, including a face mask, safety glasses and gloves. If this is a home built pre-1990, verifying that no asbestos is present in the wall sheets before commencing work is important. Check out this Best Advice article: Where might you find asbestos in your home?

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Shotime
Growing in Experience

Re: Patching wall & celling

Thanks Mitchell, this was very helpful.

Took me a while to get it done but now I'm feeling much more confident in the repair!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects