Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to hang a heavy mirror onto a Gyprock and brick wall?

pcastelli
Finding My Feet

How to hang a heavy mirror onto a Gyprock and brick wall?

I have a heavy mirror (10-15kg & 2500mm x 800mm) to hang on a gyprock/brick wall. There is about an 8mm gap between the gyprock & the brick. There are 6 pre-drilled holes on the mirror. 
How should I go about hanging the mirror?

Not keen at all in using dynabolts. 
thanks heaps

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Hanging a heavy mirror onto a gyprock/brick wall (8mm gap between gyprock & brick)

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @pcastelli. It's sensational to have you join us and many thanks for your question about hanging mirrors.

Could you show us these pre-drilled holes in the mirror? That additional information will assist our members in providing some helpful advice. Do they go all the way through and is the fixing designed to go through them?

I'd suggest that you'll need to fix into the bricks and not the plaster for such a large mirror. I'm also not really aware of any plaster fixings that would be suitable and could function correctly in the 8mm gap. Things like Ramset 3 / 16" x 50mm Round Head Gravity Toggles would be out of the question.

Ultimately, I think you'll be forced to drill into the bricks. Any reason why you don't want to use Dynabolts?

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Hanging a heavy mirror onto a gyprock/brick wall (8mm gap between gyprock & brick)

280803E9-2E26-4004-BE4A-5410A34D815D.jpeg

8ADC090C-D498-41F2-AF66-435F556AFF5E.jpeg

Thanks Mitchell,

I’ve uploaded a couple of pics of one the holes.  

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi Mitchell and Pcastelli.

Would those 'expanding' hollow wall anchors be useful? My $15 Syneco kit from Bunnings has one around 20 mm in length.

Maybe?Maybe?

Hi @pcastelli.

I'd suggest drilling holes into the brick at your six mounting locations and fixing Ramset 7 x 35mm Green Wall Plugs into them. The mirror frame can then be mounted using Zenith 10G x 75mm Zinc Plated Countersunk Head Wood Screws. It looks like you are missing the Zenith 10G Chrome Plated Screw Cup Washers that prevent the screws from pulling through the timber frame.

@Noyade's idea of using the expanding hollow wall anchors could also work. I'm just a bit concerned that there is not enough room for them to operate in the cavity. The thickness of your frame will determine the length of the anchor needed. If the frame is thin, then these could work. A Ramset 16mm Hollow Wall Anchor would likely work, but is your frame thicker than the 16mm screw provided in the anchor? I'd presume you'll need something more like the Ramset 24mm Hollow Wall Carded Fastens Anchor, but I think the anchor will bottom out on the brick before it's full inserted and able to grip the plaster.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects