Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to make an indoor vertical cat tree?

HeidiBee
Just Starting Out

How to make an indoor vertical cat tree?

Hello all!  I want to try and make a vertical cat tree that looks like this (with a plain base rather than a mechanical one):

image.pngimage.png

I am an absolute beginner, and I was wondering how to best make the metal components of this, including whether it may be easier to make it from PVC/other sort of piping and just give it a metallic finish to try and get a similar look.  I already have round wooden boards that I can use for the non-frame components of the project.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/advice :smile:   

Edit: quick additional note - this would be a floor to ceiling cat tree, so would be braced between the two!  It would not be free standing. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to make an indoor vertical cat tree like the one pictured below

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @HeidiBee. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about creating a cat tower.

I think you'd have difficulty creating the tower from PVC as it won't be particularly structurally sound; perhaps it would work for a kitten or a smaller breed of cat.

I'd recommend you stick with how this one is created. Each tier would be created in this fashion: Brasshards Galvanised Round Flange With 25mm Drill Mall (floor mount), Brasshards 25 x 350mm Galvanised Pipe (upright), Brasshards 25mm Galvanised Tee (split for shelf arm), Brasshards 25 x 200mm Galvanised Pipe (shelf arm), Brasshards 25mm Galvanised Male And Female Elbow (turn under shelf) and a Brasshards Galvanised Round Flange With 25mm Drill Mall (shelf mount).

You'd continue the pattern for each tier up to the roof and mount with another Brasshards Galvanised Round Flange With 25mm Drill Mall. You'll need to adjust the lengths of your upright pipes to finish at the ceiling. The shelf arm pipe will need to be around half the width of your shelf.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How to make an indoor vertical cat tree like the one pictured below

I saw this in a shop recently (permission to photo granted) - I just assumed it was thick PVC mimicking galvanised pipe and fittings - now I'm not so sure.

Good to see Bunnings stocks all of this - I tried a plumping centre for the gal elbows a few years ago and was told they would have to be ordered in as no one wants them anymore!

They look good in black.

image000000(1).jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects