Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint veneer linen cupboards?

aly
Making a Splash

How to paint veneer linen cupboards?

Hello workshoppers! I've recently moved house and have two large linen cupboards in the hallway that i'd love to revamp - photos below. They look to be a plywood with wood veneer. What's the best way, and the best products ,to paint them white? Thanks!

linen press 1 Large.jpeglinen press 2 Large.jpeglinen press 3 Large.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to paint veneer linen cupboards?

Hello @aly 

Thanks for sharing your question about painting your veneer linen cupboards. Looking at the pictures you posted it appears to be plastic laminated doors. One quick way to find out if it is wood or plastic is to sand a small portion of the door. I suggest sanding the inside corner of the door where it won't be seen. 

You'll notice that the sanding dust will either be wood or plastic and if it is wood, you'll see it on the sanded surface. But if it is plastic, it will be just white.

If it is a laminated door, I suggest having a look at the Dulux Renovation Range. It is specifically designed to go onto laminated surfaces. However, if it is a timber veneer, it will still have the properties of wood and standard painting practices will apply. Generally, the surface will need to be sanded and a primer and topcoat applied.  

Here are some amazing painted laminated kitchen projects our Workshop members have shared: 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
aly
Making a Splash

Thanks @EricL just gave it a quick sand and it's come up white so I guess it's plastic. Will take a look at the renovator range and see how I go. The doors are an odd size, and quite large so still looking like painting is the cheaper option for the moment.

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @aly 

I have some office styled bookcases that are laminated, Definently plastic lol I sanded them so they no longer that smooth feeling to touch and then used laminate paint over them. Then painted an undercoat and final coat. They came up really nicely and didnt cost a huge amount.

white knight 1l white satin renew tile and laminate paint 

If you would liketo see the how to of retrofitting the laminate bookcases heres the link Bookcase retrofit to create a garage library 

One thing to note is that the paint will become more "fixed" the longer it is on the doors, so less likely to be scratchable type deal.

Dave

aly
Making a Splash

Looks great @Dave-1 . Thanks for the info and for sharing your project :smile:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects