Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to patch holes in ceiling?

tiffany201
Finding My Feet

How to patch holes in ceiling?

Hi guys, I have some holes (8-10cm in diameter) in the ceiling from installing ceiling fans and wondering if diy is possible fixing these holes.. I saw some videos on putting wood blocks etc behind the hole before applying filler but I don't have an electric drill. I also saw people using some mesh wall patch to stick on the hole then apply filler. What is your recommended approach? Would love it to be durable and straight forward to fix for people with no experience. Otherwise may have to get a plasterer!

Thanks!IMG_9905.JPGIMG_9904.JPG

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: patching holes in ceiling

Hello @tiffany201

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you so much for joining us and sharing your question about patching holes in the ceiling.

Thank you for posting those photos of your ceiling. It seems that the mounting toggles are still installed in your ceiling. Those will need to be removed in order for you to plaster the ceiling properly. Your comment about using Builders Edge 100 x 100mm Plasterboard Wall Patch is the ideal material to fix the hole in your ceiling. Because it already has an aluminium mesh attached to it, it will not be necessary to attach any timber fixings to it.

The steps to patch your ceiling is the same when patching a hole in your wall. Make sure to clean the area with a clean rag to remove any dust on the plaster. Make sure to put on a light coat when starting and wait for it to dry off. Spread the plaster evenly so that you will not create a small hill in the middle of the repair. Once the plaster repair is dry, sand the area flat with a sanding block.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to fix a hole in a plaster wall 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi Tiffany.

For me - I'd try and get into the roof - find that hole - clean around it, apply a big bead of liquid nails and position a scrap piece of gyprock over it.

When dry you can fill it on the other side with plaster.

Never tried it, but I'm wondering with a pair of pliers while in the roof you can pull through those mounting toggles?

Just suggestions.

Scan0799.jpg

Thanks Eric and Noyade! Could you explain what the mounting toggle is? I dont see any nails in the three small holes around the big one.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to patch holes in ceiling?

Hello @tiffany201

It's great that you've received fantastic advice from @Noyade. The second part of the toggle or anchor is still installed on your ceiling. I've placed a picture below so that you will see what it looks like. Whoever moved your fan only removed the screw but left the anchor in the ceiling. I've also placed a picture of the ceiling with black circles to indicate the location of the second part of the anchors. I recommend using 200mm Combination Pliers to crush the heads of the anchor so you can push them into the ceiling. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Sure I will check it out. Thank you!

Hi Eric.

When I looked at the anchors, particularly the top right one in your magnified photo, they looked like the plastic rawlplugs?

Prof
Becoming a Leader

Hi Tiffany,

I trick I learned many years ago to easily fill a large plasterboard hole..is to get a piece timber say 42 x 19 pine, several mm. longer than the opening..

You put the timber through the hole and space it evenly across..Then while holding it, you screw it to the ceiling..

Next you get a piece of plasterboard and cut it roughly to the shape of the hole, just so it fits inside the hole..

You screw that to the timber..plaster over the gaps and the screw heads..and you have one nicely repaired hole !!

I hope that helps..

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

The "Stick and String" method...

Scan0800.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects