Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to read a Bunnings paint label?

Sharon1003
Finding My Feet

How to read a Bunnings paint label?

Hi. I have recently bought a sample paint pot, asked for the colour to be 1/4 strength, and I’m not sure if it has been tinted properly as it seems very close to the original colour when I put it on the wall.   What I asked for was Taubmans Bras D’Or  1/4 strength.      The label doesn’t say 1/4 anywhere, but I’m not skilled in reading paint code.  I’m hoping someone can confirm for me if it really is 1/4 strength or not.  Thankyou.  

F572B2CB-1356-4643-BA40-9FA5B0310D5F.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to read a Bunnings Paint Label

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Sharon1003. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about paint tinting.

I'll need to know the size of the pot of paint to answer your question. It appears there wasn't a 1/4 strength formula, so they've produced it by altering the pot size. You can see under the Base/Can section they've put the pot size as .125L or 125ml. If your pot is actually 250ml, then that would be a 1/2 strength formula, or if your pot is 500ml, that would be a 1/4 strength formula. So, if your pot is 500ml, then the formula here would be correct for a 1/4 strength Bras D'Or.

Another easy way to think about it is, say I wanted 1/4 strength Bras D'Or, and you'd like it in a four-litre can. If I were to put a one-litre formula into the four-litre can, that would give you 1/4 strength.

I'm keen to hear what the pot size was, and please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell

The pot was 500ml, so based on that I guess I really do have 1/4 strength!

Your explanation makes perfect sense.  Thanks so much for answering helping me understand in plain English how it works.

thankyou!

sharon

No issues at all, @Sharon1003! I'm happy to assist.

Regarding the colour, like you, I would expect to see a reasonable difference between the full and quarter strength. How sure are you that the original paint is full strength? Any possibility that it could have been half or quarter strength? 

Mitchell

Lawzy
Cultivating a Following

Hi Mitchell,

I’m curious, what do the numbers and letters represent near the bottom of the label, under Base/Can?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Lawzy,

The letters indicate what tint colour (red, yellow, blue, green etc.), and the numbers are the amount of tint we need to add. Think of the Y as 60 units and the N units (the N isn't shown on this label) as the singular units. So, if the formula were EE 1Y 2.2N, it would be 60 units (a big squirt) of ocre and then 2.2 units (a tiny squirt). There are no Y shots in this formula as it's a sample pot, so it's only small N increments of tint.

If you were being more specific and wanted to know what tints D, E and L are in Taubman tints, I can find that out for you. I haven't tinted paint daily for several years now, so I don't remember the exact colours off the top of my head.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Lawzy
Cultivating a Following

Thanks Mitchell, that all makes sense. I would be interested in finding out more. I figure it would be good to know if I need to mix another good match. 
5215D9E2-BA99-4063-95AA-4D8DC9383127.jpeg

I assume that varying tin sizes would be a proportion of the numbers above. Therefore a 4L tin would be 4/10 of a 10L tin.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That would be correct @Lawzy.

If you were ever to need a 4L tin, you'd just request Hog Bristle in 4L. The machine will work out the formulae.

Mitchell

Lawzy
Cultivating a Following

Thanks Mitchell.

I ask as I once had the experience when the colours did not match. Knowing the colour codes I can at least double check.

Cheers

Hi Mitchell,

Stumbled across this thread and it made me wonder how to interpret the formula on some paint I purchased from Bunnings. The label reads:

Library: BRITISH_W.LIB / Match_Atlas_or_Project

Base/Can BRITISH WHITE / 1 L

EE 0Y 1.75 M 0Y 0.5

From the above discussion Y = 60 units tint, N = a single Unit tint and other letters represent the tint (EE and M). But I cannot work out how to interpret that against the formula 'EE 0Y 1.75 M 0Y 0.5'.

Could you please explain.

Paul

So, 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects