Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove permanent marker from walls?

pru696
Finding My Feet

How to remove permanent marker from walls?

I have a 2year old who found a permanent marker. And this is my problem.

How do I clean it up?

I tried rubbing alcohol and I made it worse. 

received_562402915013643.jpeg

IMG20211026070315.jpg

IMG20211026070318.jpg

IMG20211026070328.jpg

  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove permanent marker from walls?

Hi @pru696,

Wow, that's not good! 

Rubbing alcohol is likely one of the few ways you'll be able to remove the marker. However, you'll need to blot the ink up with a clean, dry cloth as soon as it begins to run. You could also try eraser pads on the painted walls. I wouldn't recommend them on the guitar, though, as they contain a mild abrasive.

Let me mention @TedBear and @prettyliving to see if they have some thoughts.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
pru696
Finding My Feet

Wall and door done with GUMPTION.

not worried about the same guitar too much as it's mine.......but the wooden cupboard is not mine.

This needs to be fixed. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

The cabinet should be sealed with a varnish coating @pru696, so hopefully, the ink hasn't penetrated the timber. I could only suggest placing a small amount of alcohol on a tissue and applying it sparingly to the mark whilst blotting with another cloth. The idea is that you want to dissolve the ink, but pick it up off the surface simultaneously before the alcohol dries and the ink binds to the surface again. Or, try the eraser pads. They work in the same manner as Gumption but probably less aggressively. Gumption might leave a scratched haze in the varnish.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @pru696 have you tried going over the marks with a whiteboard marker of same colour. I have found that whatever the solvent is in them that makes them non-permanent, can also act to remove the permanent ink. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects