Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove skirting boards without damaging walls?

ppp
Having an Impact

How to remove skirting boards without damaging walls?

How can I remove these base boards and what tools should I need ?

I'm trying to fit shelving unit here (In wardrobe) so that it is flush to the wall 

20211219_131957.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to remove skirting boards without damaging walls?

Hi PPP.

I've never tried this - but my neighbour has.

A 'super' magnet locates the nail head.

With a small chisel chip away enough wood so that a pincer can remove the nail.

With a Stanley knife - break the paint seal between the wall and wood.

The skirting board should just now come away from the wall.

20211220_143256.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @ppp

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Noyade. Unfortunately, some damage will occur despite our best efforts to not damage the plaster wall. The best thing we can do is to choose carefully where we place our Craftright 380mm Wrecking Bar. This is so that we can minimize the amount of damage we will be applying to the plaster wall. If you are trying to fit your furniture against the wall, I suggest using a Multi-tool with a Diablo 65mm Multi-Tool Plunge Blade. This will let you cut the skirting board without removing the entire length. Be careful not to plunge too deeply or you will cut the plaster as well.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to remove skirting boards

Let me tag our experienced members @tom_builds and @Nham for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Going down the pry bar path - I highly recommend the Crescent multi-position head bar. It has a long flat and narrow head good for getting behind the skirting board and by adjusting the head angle you get powerful leverage.

Got this one from Bunnings - still available?

20211220_143308.jpg

Nham
Becoming a Leader

Hi @ppp ,

I had the same problem, we had to install some Ikea wardrobes, and the skirting needed to be removed. The first step was to run a retractable knife along the top edge of the skirting board. This should reduce any paint being pulled away as you remove the board. In the next step, I just used a chisel and mallet to pry an opening, then I just grabbed one end of the skirting and pull it away from the wall. There was a small hole left by the chisel and that was easily repaired. Good luck. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects