Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to seal leaking timber windows set within a timber frame?

David4321
Finding My Feet

How to seal leaking timber windows set within a timber frame?

IMG_2356.jpeg

IMG_2357.jpeg

IMG_2358.jpeg

 Heavy rain comes in the top of our timber windows.  Have tried numerous rubber sealants.  Any ideas or suggestions?

Many thanks Bunnings

Regards

David

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to seal leaking timber windows set within a timber frame

Hi @David4321,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workhop community.

Perhaps something like this a Syneco 6 x 9mm x 5m Black Self-Adhesive Door Window Weather Seal could be installed on the sill so the windows close against it.  It's likely that a combination of a few things will be the best method for stopping the water getting in, but it might require a few additional questions to clarify the issue.

• Is there an awning or any kind of overhang above the window?

• Is the water coming in at the top of the window and tracking down? Or is it pooling at the bottom then getting in underneath?

• When you say you've tried rubber sealants, where were they placed?

@Dave-1 @Nailbag @Jewelleryrescue, any thoughts on this one?

Hope to hear from you soon,

Jacob

Thank you @JacobZ. Much appreciated. I advise as follows.

1) Yes we have aluminium Awenings to all windows. This does not stop horizontal rain or rain coming in from the side.

2) the water gains access at the top of the windows. 

3) we have tried rubber seals along where the window closes in against the timber window frame.

4) I am going to check Bunnings for the seal you have recommended. Also wondering if I should try a seal that attaches to the outside and over the top of the window so that when we close the window the seal flap will rest against the frame?? Maybe try both options?

Much appreciated- I do not know how to attach pics in a reply. This my first pleasant experience with Bunnings Workshop.

Regards

David

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @David4321,

To attach pics in a reply, it is the same process you would've used to upload your original photos. There is a small icon above the text box shaped like either a camera, or a landscape photo, click this and follow the steps. 

If you have any trouble, let me know and I'll assist further. 

With the weather seal that I linked to earlier, make sure it is located in a place where when closed, the window compresses the rubber and creates a good seal. Once you've installed this seal, you should grab a helper to observe the window while you either use the garden hose, or a bucket of water to wet the windows and see if you can identify any specific entry points. If you find any additional areas, you can use Parfix 300g Clear All Purpose Silicone to fill any gaps around the frame that you can see the water getting into.

Feel free to reach out for any further assistance,

Jacob

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Evening @David4321 

Now thats an interesting problem.

The photo Id love to see is how the windows look like from outside when open and also when closed.

My ideas pretty much go along the same lines as @JacobZ and I am also wondering what type of overhang is protecting the windows themselves?

Your very first photo we can see drops of water beeding under the timber frame, and in the background we can see the eave I presume? I am wondering how the water gets under the eave and down to the top of the window in such a quantity?

Id also like to offer a warm howdy to the community :smile: There are lots of project and questions along the same lines of yours in here if you take a wander through the pages... Yeah you will be distracted for sure! :smile:

Dave

Thank you Dave. I will take close up pics of current seals. These seals are set on the top of the window and within the frame corner where the window shuts so it beats me how the water continues to enter. It only enters from the top. Some seals work others do not. I will get the seals recommended by Jacob tomorrow.

Think you for your interest.

Photos of aluminium Awenings posted today.

Regards David 4321

Nailbag
Making a Splash

Ditto for me with @JacobZ re the weather seals on the inside of the window frame (not the windows). This type of seal won't have any effect on the outside as it will rely on the window frame making firm contact with it. Just ensure the frame is completely dry and clean to allow the best chance of adhesion.

regards, Nailbag

@Nailbag and @Dave-1,

Here are those images.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg 

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @David4321 

Wow, and must say I love your windows btw :smile:

The way the seals have been attached to the upper side of the windows would allow water to come through I think. But those roofs? they should actually be stopping pretty much any water falling onto the window itself. 

Do you know if the installer put any sealant/rubber strip between the sheet of tin and the wall? It would explain why you have water entering at the top of the window if there is no sealant.

Looking at photo one,

the rain falls on the wall,

Runs down the wall and under the sheet of roofing,

then across the top of the window door iteslf.

and pools /seeps through the waterproofing

Into the house.

First step, find out if that sheet is sealed to the wall. (may negate other seals being needed)

Second step instead of sealing within the frame I am thinking of something like the bottom of a door seal like this Raven 920mm Clear Anodised RP3 Door Bottom Seal but installed at the top of the outside window so that when closed allow the water if it does come through run past the window, and when the window is open bend up so it opens smoothly.

Dave

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @David4321,

In the second photo, where you have installed the seal on the underside of the frame, you should remove this seal and replace it with a piece of 42 x 19mm 1.8m DAR Pine Premium using Paslode 40 x 1.6mm 100g Bright Steel Bullet Head Nails. This will allow a solid surface for the before mentioned Syneco 6 x 9mm x 5m Black Self-Adhesive Door Window Weather Seal to be attached to and compress against the window when closed.

Once installed, the timber can be stained to match, and the nails can be hidden using a nail punch and some Timbermate filler of a suitable colour to match the existing stain.

Unfortunately, you may find that water still gets on to the top of the window, but it should stop it getting inside while it is raining.

Let me know if you need any more advice.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects