Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to secure a freestanding headboard to an ensemble base?

Connie101
Getting Established

How to secure a freestanding headboard to an ensemble base?

Hi, I've purchased a freestanding headboard for the bed but  I don't know how to secure it so it doesn't tip? Can you please suggest what bolts or screws I need  for an ensemble bed base or do I need brackets?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Image 2.png

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to secure a freestanding headboard to an ensemble base?

Hello @Connie101,

A warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're delighted to have you join us and trust you'll find the site a handy resource for all your garden and home improvement projects. 

Thank you for your question on securing a freestanding headboard. Our resident D.I.Y. expert @EricL should be able to assist once he's back online later today. In the meantime, let me tag @TheRenoDad@prettyliving and @EleventhCoastal for their thoughts. 

While waiting, you can also check out the following discussions in case they help: 

Good luck with your project.

Akanksha 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Connie101 

Thank you for posting a picture of your headboard. This would make an excellent addition to your beds set-up. Would it be possible for you to post a few photos of your bed frame with the mattress taken off? This will let us know if your bed frame is made of timber or steel. Can you also please find out if your headboard came with any instructions or recommendations when drilling into it. The last thing we want to do is to drill into the wrong area of your headboard.

We look forward to seeing the photos.

Eric

Connie101
Getting Established

Hi Eric,

Thank you for your advice. I've managed to take a photo of the bed base.  It's an ensemble, not a bed frame. The headboard didn't come with instructions as it's a free-standing one-piece headboard without any mounting holes or feet. It didn't occur to me that the headboard wouldn't stand on its own and needed to be firmly secured somehow. Either attach it to the ensemble base or maybe install feet underneath to hold it firmly onto the floor.

Cheers

Connie

20230615_070348.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Connie101 

We're making progress here, now that we know we can't anchor the headboard to your bed, we need to find out the actual width of your bed. The reason being, if the headboard is larger than your bed, legs can be installed at the side of it preventing it from tipping over.

I've drawn up a basic diagram to give you an idea of how it can be done. The closest measurement for your headboard is a double bed. That is the example that I used for the sketch. Please let me know what you think. It is possible to be more creative with the feet, you can turn them into small nightstands on the condition that you have the space for it.

Eric

Connie101
Getting Established

Thank you very much for your reply. A top idea! I love the sketches as it gives me a clear visual of what can be done. EXCELLENT!!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It's wonderful to hear that @EricL's advice and images were helpful, @Connie101.

If there is a timber structure in the headboard, you could screw through it and into the timber studs of your wall. That would certainly hold it in the correct position. Your bed base will also have an internal timber structure, so I see no reason why you couldn't screw through the headboard and into the bed base. It will just be a matter of locating the internal frame and matching it up with the timber of the bedhead. A long screw can then connect the two, but make sure to pre-drill first. This will penetrate the fabric of both, but given it's in an area that isn't seen, it shouldn't be an issue.

How heavy is the headboard, and does your bed often move positions? If it's a light headboard and your bed typically stays in the same position and doesn't creep away from the wall, I would have thought that potentially the weight of the bed might keep it in position. Have you tried sliding it behind the bed? Obviously, don't attempt this if there is any significant weight to the headboard. 

Let me mention some of our knowledgeable members @daniknight4, @lifestylebymari and @Renowayoflife to see if they have any thoughts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Hi @Connie101 

Amateurish thought - but a wooden frame with large brackets attached. This will fit under the bed and nothing should be seen. The headboard fits between the brackets and held there when you push the bed back - or a few screws to the back of the vertical brackets.

Just a Saturday arvo thought. 🙂

Scan1361.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Thought No.2.  😏

Possibly the vertical part of the bracket won't be long enough? (Bunnings' largest is 235mm?)

Scan1362.jpg

Hi Mitchell,

Thanks very much for your response. 

That's actually a fantastic idea to screw the headboard securely to the bed frame. The headboard is lightweight and despite being advertised as 'freestanding,' it needs some extra support. Since the bed is placed under the window, it's crucial for it to be stable. One option is to move the bed against a wall, utilizing its weight to keep the headboard in place, although it would require rearranging the bedroom layout. I'll definitely take that into consideration!

Cheers

Connie

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects